Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Besides calcium, what else?

Just wondering what everyone adds to their tanks besides calcium. How often are you adding these other chemicals?

Thanks!
    Leafster

Groceries or more reef supplies?
    What an easy decision...

liv
    trace elements, water changes and good replacement water..
    thats all i'm doing at the moments.. my 2 little frags seem to be ok with that.

for the water, try to use RO/DI or distilled water if you can,
    Ijo had a special on the filtering system kit last month.

easy to install, took me 30 min... and 2 hours to fix the leaks.
    ( but thats all my fault... ) me being the great experienced plumber... nothing a little teflon tape can't fix.

tasts great too

moving.. so temporarily out of SW :b8:
    planning next tank, possibly 60x30x20 on 2x plasma.
    updated: 2011/05/30

On occassion I have to add calcium (B-ionic) and/or Alk (B-ionic). Some months I'll have to add calcium 2x/mth and other months it's alk but then sometimes it both &/or none.

Cool leafster

KALK and the occasional TURBO CALCIUM. I have buffer but my ph/alk have being stable for 3 years.Calcium is at 480

I use B-Ionic too. I haven't really added anything else, but thought maybe strodium and iodine might be worth adding weekly. Anyone doing this or are you relying on regular water changes.
    Leafster

Groceries or more reef supplies?
    What an easy decision...

If you're doing water changes, there is no reason to add trace elements. Your salt mix contains things like iodine. Besides, have you looked at the ingredient list of the B-Ionic you're dosing? It's right on the side of the container. There are a ton of other trace elements in there, besides calcium and carbonate.
    Jason Nugent
    http://malhavoc.homeunix.com/
    ReefCentral Admin

180 gallon Oceanic with Lifereef Sump, 33 gallon with VHO, 20 gallon frag tank with MH

the water change would just replenish enough trace elements in that new water, but after being diluted to the rest of the tank, it will not be enough.
    ex. if my calcium starts at 450 and gets used up down to 350. a water change of 10% with water that is as 450 will not bring my whole tank back up to 450, it will only bring it up to 360.
    I dose B-Ionic regularly as well as Calcium Hydroxide. On occassion i will add Magnesium, Strontium, and Iodide to bring the paramaters up to proper levels.
    Albert
    My Photos

Define "not enough". There's practically no evidence that things like iodide and other trace elements actually do anything anyway. If you've got references, please share.

Iodine doesn't stay organically available anyway. Things like iodine speciate to form iodide, which quickly reacts with oxygen to form iodate, which isn't biologically available. That stuff can linger around in your tank for a long time.
    Jason Nugent
    ReefCentral Admin

180 gallon Oceanic with Lifereef Sump, 33 gallon with VHO, 20 gallon frag tank with MH

"not enough" means its not enough to keep your concentrations the same as they originally were or at NSW levels. I am not saying what you need or what you dont as the "experts" still dont know what is good or bad (such as strontium for example). but for someone who wants to have all the trace elements in their tank similar to the concentrations in the ocean (which have been proven to work, even though we dont know which chemicals are the "good ones") then a water change would not be enough unless you are changing 100% of your water every week - it's really simple math, just average 10% of water at regular concentration with 90% at a depleted concentration. you will never end up with 100% at regular concentration that way.
    Albert
    My Photos

There have been studies which show that most chemical species in a marine tank linger and accumulate to levels far *above* what is found in NSW. Read the various articles by Holmes-Farley, Bingman, or Habib Sekha. I was an analytical chemist for years before my job description became computer related, and I used to test my tank water on a regular basis. You'd be surprised at what lingers and what doesn't.

The bottom line is, if you can't test for it, don't add it. You don't know what the rate of consumption is, and there's a good chance that you'll overdose and do more harm than good (iodine has been linked to algae outbreaks, for instance). Even testing doesn't help all that much because the kits available to hobbiests are notoriously inaccurate.

Since you specifically mentioned Strontium, so here's a link to read:

http://www.advancedaquarist.com/issues/nov2003/chem.htm

Randy cites many marine fauna that have been shown to need Strontium to do well, but he also makes references to the toxcity of strontium if it exceeds natural levels (which is very possible). The article seems to indicate that strontium levels can be maintained without dosing supplements, and that very high levels of Sr can possibly be linked to the death of certain marine life.
    Jason Nugent
    ReefCentral Admin

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast