Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

question about additives

hi, on my 180g reef i'm currently using bionic 2 part additive (yes becoming expensive) and the very occasional small water change (maybe 20gals every 6 month) I'm thinking with so few and small water changes i'm doing, i must be losing out of some benificial trace elements. Is there an all in 1 additive that will add the iodine, stratonium (sp) , etc that i could be addiing to my tank to make up for the no doubt loss of trace elements? I guess i could do larger water changes more often and that would probably give me what i'm looking for but wonder if there is a product out there that would accomplish the addition of trace elements

thanks,
    Jeffd

Yes there is an additive that will add all trace elements to your tank.
    It is called FOOD.
    The food you feed to your tank has iodine, strontium iron and too many more elements to list here. In fact, Dr Ron Shimek believes it to be important to do water changes to LOWER the levels of trace elements added just by feeding the fish/corals/inverts.

IMO When its all said and done water changes is the best way to keep the water composition correct. I think most would find it's cheaper as well as compared to buying a bunch of additives and the test kits to track them. There are of course a lot of other benefits to doing reg water changes as well .. but we all know that already.
    Rob

Looks like i'll stqart doing more frequent water changes. thanks
    Jeffd

Jeff,
    If there's 1 thing that has stood the test of time about what to do, it's "water changes"!! Ask any of the experts or simply people that have lots of experience in this hobby. They'll ALL say the same. Of all the things you can do for your tank, this will benefit them the most.

you know theres that red sea calcium addititives that has magnesium strontium, iron, calcium and all the trace elements in it.... I , like you, do not like to do water changes too and have yet to do one since I have started this hobby and I just add this because since I do not have a calcium reactor it will add my calcium too(which is its main purpose)

Read the ingredients on the side of your bottle of B-Ionic. It's not just calcium and carbonate. There are a ton of other things in there too.

And do regular water changes
    Jason Nugent
    http://malhavoc.homeunix.com/
    ReefCentral Admin

180 gallon Oceanic with Lifereef Sump, 33 gallon with VHO, 20 gallon frag tank with MH

Definet water change on a regular basis. I use to be of the mind that it wasn't that important but I've since stepped up my schedule. If you don't do water changes your heading for trouble in the long run I believe. A tank can crash fast as some of you may know and I definatly don't recommend 0 water changes in 6 months. P.S buy a calcium reactor Harley can build you a low cost reactor.

Yes more water changes will need to be done. I do plan on a reactor as soon as i can afford all the related gadgets required to operate the reactor
    tks guys

Well i can speak from experience. I used to not do any water changes (unless i was bored and had nothing better to do) and this was when my tank was fresh and new. I figured "if other people can get by without water changes, then why cant i?". Well since i have been having only problems, i decided to do a couple of water changes (by the suggestions of this group). I must say that it makes a world of a difference. All my corals are always open, algae would have to beg on its hands and knees to get a foot-hold (well, fine, this may be a little bit of an exageration at this point). But bottom line, i am talking from experience. i have tried both, and i would never go back. Imagine living your whole life in your house and never even open a window - would you survive? maybe, would you be happy - most likely not. they would love a breath of fresh water every now and then. in the ocean they have fresh water every second, at least let them enjoy it once a month now rather than forcing them to live in their own wastes.
    Albert
    My Photos

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast