Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

snails falling off....sup with that?

I have had numerous astria snails over the past month or so continuously falling off the glass and ending up on there backs. It drives me nuts having to continually keep an eye on them and keep turning them over only for then to do the same thing again...and again...and again.... to prevent them from becoming lunch.

you get my point. is there something missing in my tank that would cause this behavior?

All my snails end up on their backs now and then on the sand. I leave them alone and they right themselves. The turbos seem to have the most difficulty.

Vickie

Cool ASTREAS

Unfortunatly Astreas cannot right themselves and therefore do die if not rerighted. They are a pain for sure.Now, I always found that when they started falling off regularly they were on there last legs from more than likely age. Even if you helped them back up they are just to weak to stay up. I'm assume of course these are snails you've had for awhile and not freshly acclimated? I only keep a few Astreas as theres alot more choices out there that seem to do better.Stomattela being my favorite!

I know Astreas were included in my clean up crew. I'll have to watch for them on their backs.

Vickie

I'm not fussy about astreas either. They are too big and clumsy and don't do as good a job cleaning as others who are able to upright themselves. I bought a few when my tank was young but won't be replacing them.
    Susan

ya...im begining to get really pissed with them... can you guys suggest some better snails?

Senior Member tang_man_montreal's Avatar
    Turbo's are good all purpose snails, however tend to bulldoze and knock over frags as they get bigger.
    Cerith's are among my favorite snails. They're constantly on the glass cleaning.
    Nassarious are great detritus eaters, and stir up the sandbed. THey're cool to watch as they surface from the sand when you feed the tank.
    Margarita's are small enough to clean rocks without toppling frags.
    Stomatella snails are nocturnal and are fast. Normally found on rock and glass.
    I am Homer of BORG... Prepare to be..OOOO!! DONUT!!!!!!

exellent thanks....

I kept some Astrea's before and noticed that they start falling off glass by themselves, and had to be manually flipped over. Eventually they would retract all the way back into their shells. They hadn't died because when you pick one up and flip it over, it would move a bit and fall off again. It's a sign that they are slowly dying. I figured it must have been the fluctuating alk and low Ca that's causing this, because I was keeping a FOWLR tank at the time and hadn't paid much attention to keeping up Ca. Or it's something related to water quality, otherwise they wouldn't have been all dying at the same time.

I got 4 Astrea's from IJO a few months ago and before then have been keeping up dosing alk and Ca religiously. My new snails are now doing great, and all have grown a full ring on the shells already. So my suggestion is, keep an eye on your water quality and see if they recover.
    If the authors of "Finding Nemo" knew anything about Clownfishes, Marlin would turn into a female and Nemo would become her new husband.

hummmm.... i have not been adding calcium...only trace elements...maybe that is the prob im having...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast