Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Kent Marine Essential Elements

Just wondering if anyone here has or does use this product?
    Also would it help my coraline growth at all or should I use something else like Kawlk for that..never used it so Im kinda iffy on trying it
    Thanks

guss no one uses this product:eek4:

I have used this product. But I find that unless you have a large coral w/ fish poulation. I wouldn't use it. Because If you are doing regular water changes. You don't need it. If you aren't doing regular water changes, and are just adding, trace elements. I can almost garantee you will get an algae out break over time. I used to add supplement, thinking they would help when all they did was cause me headaches. If you do have a large coral population. I would add a little, and only add half of what they say. Are you running a skimmer right now?

Thanks Gools,
    I use to do monthly water changes but Ive begun doing them every 2 weeks now.I do run a skimmer,all be it a piece of junk (seaclone) and Im in the midst of battling some hair algae although the emerald crabs and turbo snails seem to be helping with that.I figured adding a cap full every week might help my purple/pink coraline grow better?

I would seriously consider the Kalkwasser. It will raise your alkalinity as well as your ph and calcium, which will, in turn, do wonders for your coraline algae growth. Not to mention removing phosphates from the water, which will have a positive effect on your hair algae problem. With your w.c. regimen, you don't need the additives. Can we assume that you use r.o. water of some form of purified water for w.c.s?
    If not, that would also help with the hair algae tremendously.
    Coraline algae needs at least a dkh of 8 to be happy as well as normal ph and calcium levels.
    Matt.

Old system torn down to make a playroom.. planning a 62x42x28 high

I use Kent A and B once a day and top off with Kalk in my top off water. I use alot of water flow into my tank and to circulate. I find this help growth of coralline. I have a 90 gallon tank with a MAG 18 and another 810 GPH flowing into the tank. I also have 2 maxi jet 1200's hidden in the rock work. I just added another 2 JBL 530 GPH powerheads into the rock work for circulation. That's over 3500 GPH flowing through a 90 gallon reef. (taking into account the head height on the pumps.) I have coralline growing so fast I scrape it monthly from my side and front glass. Works for me.

The only thing two reef keepers will agree on, is what the third reef keeper is doing wrong!

So from what Ive read on using kalk,should I be mixing this in a seperate container and some how setting up a drip method?? Im assuming that pouring lets say a 1/2 to 1 gallon of kalk all at once is a no no.Also Ive read dosing kalk should be done early in the morn before the lights come on,so would this mean I should no drip during the day?guss I'll also need a ph and alk test kits

the reason for that is that it has a very high pH (12-13) and pouring it all in at once may raise you pH up way too high. you can drip it to add it slowly, or you can pour it in a little at a time (you will need to get a pH monitor or test kit to see where you are). the reason for doing it early in the morning is beacause thats when your pH is typically at its lowest.
    Albert
    My Photos

fishy business, you should NOT have a reef if you do not have the basic test kits. I'm sorry if I sound like your mother or something, but ph and alkalinity as well as nitrate, phosphate and calcium test kits are pretty much essential to reef keeping.
    Kalk is best dripped when the ph is at its lowest in the tank. This is just before the lights come on. If you can start the drip, say 3 or 4 hours before the lights come on and let it go until 2 or 3 hours after they're on, that would be good. This will allow the kalk to start bringing up the ph before it has bottomed out completely and then hold it up until the lights begin to do it naturally.
    If this is not really possible, then small additions in the morning will also do the trick. But as I said before, you MUST be testing for alkalinity and calcium when you start kalk additions to make sure you are not over doing it, not to mention the possibility that you are not using enough.
    What ever you do, start by under dosing and add more if and when necessary.
    Matt.

Old system torn down to make a playroom.. planning a 62x42x28 high

I agree with reefmutt on this one. If you dose anything without testing you're almost sure to end up with an ionic imbalance which can be a lot of work to fix.

I run a calcium reactor but have started using kalkwasser recently to help boost my pH a little. I have found that just one teaspoon of kalkwasser (mixed well with a bit of RO/DI water) and dumped into the refugium above my sump works well for me. Putting it where I do means that by the time it gets to the tank it's quite dilluted and the pH spike is minimal.

It took a few weeks to figure out just how much kalkwasser I should be using. At first I was adding too much and my alkalinity went off the charts. Without a test kit my tank would be a mess right now.

I've found that kalkwasser has other benefits as well including better skimming and phosphate binding which has led to a more healthy tank overall. Less algae too. It's very good stuff but you really can't know how much to use without a test kit.
    Susan

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast