Thread: Sailfin Mollies

Sailfin Mollies

Can anyone help me find sailfin mollies for sale? I prefer solid black but at this point I'll take whatever I can find. I want to raise them as food for a dwarf lionfish.
    Thanks

Ray, since you want them for food, the regular mollies are easier to breed than the sailfins.

Vickie

I've been doing some research on lionfish lately as I hope to have one in the new tank I'm setting up this summer. I've read that fresh water fish make poor food for them, that they are too fatty and can actually give the lionfish a heart attack. Can anyone shed some light on this?
    Susan

I don't know if a heart attack would surely occur, but there is no question that a fresh water diet for lions is very unhealthy. The lionfish would live on the mollies, but its life span would be cut dramatically. Lions have a difficult time digesting the fresh water material. Also, the oils and nutrients in the mollies are inadequate for a lion. If you are interested in a lion, you must be prepared to be very patient and have lots of time to get the lion off of live food and eating frozen seafood. This is not overly difficult and it works out for most people. I know a guy who had his lion eating flake food after a while. This being said, most people end up starving their lions for a period of time and then feeding frozen stuff when the lion is very hungry. As you could imagine, it is difficult for most people to starve fish and worrying about the lion becomes a major problem. This is where the patience becomes important. Furthermore, the best way to get the lion eating is in a smaller tank (quarantine) with no other fish. This way, the lion is aware of all of its surroundings and any thing that drops in the tank will get the lions attention. Also, it is easier to remove uneaten food from a smaller tank. I hope this helps and all of this being said, lionfish are great fish that can live for long periods when in the right tank with the right diet.

Yes regular mollies are easier to breed, but the sailfin can live at normal salt water s.g..
    I kept them at 1.025 years ago when I kept black ones just because I liked their looks.
    Sailfin mollies I've been told have a better makeup for a meal for salt water fish, but the regular molly is no better than guppies or goldfish.
    I raise brine shrimp to adults so I will be feeding selco-fortified brine to the lionfish as well.
    I'm also looking at importing Palaemonetes vulgaris, otherwise known to some as grass shrimp. (not glass shrimp)
    Soooo, I'm still looking.