Too Many Corals ?

I know it is hard on the bioload if you add too many fish at once but is it possible to add too many corals ? I was thinking of ordering a box of corals and want to make sure I don't over do it...
    ======================
    sold the 77gallon back in 2005, looking to setup a nano

You might need to worry about growth space and turf battles among the corals if you get too many.
    Nick

that's not a worry since my tank is pretty much empty... Does anyone know if anywhere in Canada offers free shipping ? I know CandianReef used to offer free shipping on orders of 200$ ....
    ======================
    sold the 77gallon back in 2005, looking to setup a nano

I don't know about the shipping thing but in terms of the corals, you don't have to worry about adding a bunch to the tank at once. But, once they are in and begin to grow, you will have to be dilligent with testing for alkalinity and calcium as well as ph etc. As the corals start growing and getting larger, the demands will change, so it is important to continuously test and adjust your additions accordingly.
    There is NOTHING more fun than getting a box of corals, opening up all of the bags to see what you got, and placing the new pieces in the tank!!!
    Matt.

Old system torn down to make a playroom.. planning a 62x42x28 high

There can be problems with keeping some different species. For example I've read (Eric Borneman) about cases where people who have a very large leather coral can't seem to keep acropora healthy. Some of the softies can exude some pretty toxic slime that isn't well tollerated by some SPS type corals.
    Susan

Senior Member tang_man_montreal's Avatar
    Flame,

I've read the same thing. However, I've also read that people can get around that by running Carbon actively among their filtration to clarify and remove the slimey toxins...

I am Homer of BORG... Prepare to be..OOOO!! DONUT!!!!!!

I have a buddy with a 50 gallon tank and a 10 gallon fuge. He has many acros as well as a leather which takes up about 20% of his tank. He has no problems, however, he does do regular w.c.s. Imo w.c.s are essential anyways.
    Flame and Tang man both make excellent points. It's all about proper management!!!
    Matt.

Old system torn down to make a playroom.. planning a 62x42x28 high