Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

something unusual with my live rocks...

Hello, first I would like to congratulate all the members of this hobby. Ive been reading/learning off of you guys/gals for almost a month now.I am new to this hobby and realize that I don't know much. My question to you is this...can any one explain to me what this may be, yasterday I was sitting in front of my tank and all of a sudden this big white cloud came out from in between two rocks ( it look like someone was smoking under water. Then for about 5 minutes or so just a little smoke was coming out. so what can this be?
    anybody please...

could have been some little critter releasing sperm or eggs or burrowing into the rock and getting rid of dust...There are some types of clam, oyster, mussel that live imbedded in little holes of the rock. every now and then they must remove waste or try to spawn or burrow etc...Its pretty hard to say what it could be. Pretty neat to see stuff like that though, isn't it?
    Matt.

Old system torn down to make a playroom.. planning a 62x42x28 high

Thank you reefmutt for the info it's nice to know there is life in the tank when all you have is the live rocks and sandbed in there...

Sounds like a spawning event to me too. Sounds like you may have some pretty good live rock there. I'll bet you'll start seeing more and more signs of life over the next few weeks. This is all great for your tank.

Be patient - the longer you let the tank go before adding fish or predatorial inverts the better diversity of microfauna you'll have. It may seem like a pretty dull tank right now but a lot is going on in there at this point that can be crucial to the health of your reef in the long run.
    Susan

Senior Member tang_man_montreal's Avatar
    Here's another shot at what it could be.

Reading your description, I immediately thought that it could be a peanut worm expelling detritus and rock dust from a hole within your liverock.

Don't worry though, Peanut worms are good to have and are part of a healthy system.
    I am Homer of BORG... Prepare to be..OOOO!! DONUT!!!!!!

well for little worms, they sure can make alot of cleaning in one rock. for one little worm to move this amount of dust ( detritus )amazing...

Another shot is, could be Astrea snail spawing if you have some, saw mine doing just that yesterday. Very cool!
    30 gl SWFO but upgrating

If you want to see more life, look at 2 am with a flash light, you'll see lot of stuff running away from the light.
    I myself saw something incredible i never saw before in almost 2 years.... a bristle worm big like a pencil with a sparkling metallic green body (like some species of beetles, you know).
    Amazing. It «ran» in its hole with the light on it....
    Béluga

Thanks beluga, now I'm sure I'll never sleep again if I see something like that in my tank at night.haha...

Hi beluga, I couldn't stay away from the tank and last night at 3am I sat in front of the tank with a flashlight, and you are right, there is alot of action, especially things you would never expect to find. I saw a green crab, now I hope it's not the one that we are not supposed to have in there b/c my tank makes funny cracking noises during the day. How will I know? Does anyone know the name, and if so any sites to see a picture?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast