Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: dKH question...

dKH question...

I have a new set up in a 90gal. lest than 2 months. I have both a few snails and hermit crabs as a cleaner crew, but a few days later some were dead or curled up in there shell and never came out. I have been told that the alkalinity could be off/affecting the snails, so my 2 questions are;at where should the dKH be at in a new set-up and 2nd would a test kit for fresh water be accurate and last of all what to do to correct it?

Cool

a better question is how long did you acclimate them and what was your ammonia/nitrates/nitrites at? snails and most inverts should be acclimated well over 3 hours and some do 5! a drip acclimation is the best.

Disney,
    John is right about the acclimation thingy. Snails are even MORE sensitive than a lot of fish when it comes to adding them to a tank.
    Having said that, you also need proper water parameters for them to survive and yes your Alk has to be at a good level too.
    I myself use an Alk testkit from Aquarium Pharmaceuticals that is for both fresh & saltwater to measure the DKH.

Toutouche
    Is the AP test accurate? (I use it too)

Johnny Rock, I acclimated them over 3 hours, my amonia is 0ppm my nitrite and nitrate are also at 0ppm my sg is 1.024 my pH 8.0 and my temp. at 26C

Disney,
    PH is a bit low which can also affect them. Try to get it up around 8.2 minimum.

SMartin,

Yes, it's about as accurate as any other testkit will be. Is it the mint green box?

Toutouche, is it a good idea to add a pH buffer in a tank so young, a little over 2 months.

what are you using for water topoff or water period?

I've been using distilled water ,initially it was tap water. I ve since then made 2-20% water changes and topped off with distilled water only.I now know tap water is a no no, but where I both my tank and equipement they said it was o.k. But that was before I found this site.

Your alk should be around 2.9-5meq/L, or 9-14dKH (??). Also watch your calcium level. Dripping Kalkwasser should provide a balanced alk and Ca supplement. Kalk also is high in pH, so drip it slowly and it should help raise your pH too.

As a temporary measure, dissolving a teaspoon of baking soda in a cup of fresh water, and adding it directly to the tank should help raise alk. But that won't raise Ca so you should be adding Turbo Calcium or equivalent. Once you have reached the desired value for both alk and Ca, use a balanced solution (no pun), such as the aforementioned Kalk, 2-part alk/Ca additives or dry powder.
    If the authors of "Finding Nemo" knew anything about Clownfishes, Marlin would turn into a female and Nemo would become her new husband.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast