Thread: torn up

torn up

I've had a long tentacled anemone for about 20 months now. It has grown from the size of my palm to 18" across. It host my pair of tomatoe clowns and is the center piece of the tank (on the living room side) About 3 days ago or so I was blowing the rocks clean and blew my large frogspawn (9"across) down. It fell right into the open anemone. I immediately ran for the ladder and pulled it out. The anemone was closed right up for a few days. Then I noticed stuff from it's mouth and examined it more closely. It looked like the mouth and area were tore ...probably from the sharp skelaton of the frogspawn. It's now kinda disintegrating??? I've a hard time believing that this little accident killed it?? any opinions?
    Lynn

here's a pic
    Lynn

Wow, I really do not know what to tell you. Hopefully, its previously excellent health will help it heal. All I know that my anemones look pretty crappy sometimes but they always come back to normal after a few days.

Also, is it possible that it may be splitting? They often begin to split after something has stressed them.

I'm hoping it's just splitting too. These can be pretty tough anemones.

I had a large caulastrea fall right onto a long tentacled anemone once. The anemone disappeared completely under the sand but re-emerged just fine several hours later.
    Susan

Cool LYNN

I have the long tentacle as well and there tuff! buggers. I've seen mine go from dinner plate to golf ball and right into the sand when I dropped a rock on it![I know Iknow, it was an accident] but it hid for 3 days and slowly came back. One time for some reason or other it looked like it was spitting some guts out[after my salinity spike due to holiday mishap] and the clowns tore at it and ate it! The anenome is just as big today as ever.

Well they may be tough, but they can't take tears especially to the column and the mouth. I'm afraid it's gonzo. Here's a pic of what it looks like this morning.
    Lynn

Unhappy lynn

crap that was fast! that sucks to say the least.

Oh wow, you're right Lynn, looks like this was too much for it. It must be awful to lose such a beautiful anemone.
    Susan