Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

liquid cal and Kalk

What's the difference between liquid calcium (ie: kents supplement) and Kalk, and the effects on the tank? And which should be used when and why?
    The RS says the liquid calcium is better, but didn't explain why.
    "The significant problems we face cannot be solved at the same level of thinking we were at when we created them."
    - Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

liv
    maybe is contains more then just calcium ?
    the other advantage being that its usable right away.. compared to the other one which you have to mix and wait for it to be dissolved ( 24hours ).

moving.. so temporarily out of SW :b8:
    planning next tank, possibly 60x30x20 on 2x plasma.
    updated: 2011/05/30

Concentrated Liquid Calcium provides bio-available calcium for lush growth of purple, pink and green calcareous algaes, snails, hard tube worms and clams. Corals will open more and stay attached to their skeletons better, with regular use. Phosphate & nitrate free! Contains no gluconates, EDTA, or other organics to raise DOC levels, as many competing products do. Concentrated Liquid Calcium alone can provide all the calcium your reef will need, **but for maximum results, use Kent Kalkwasser Mix first**, then raise calcium level with this product. Strontium addition via use of Kent Marine Strontium & Molybdenum Supplement is absolutely necessary. Use of Coral•Vite, and Essential Elements are beneficial, as well.

Liquid Calcium only provides Calcium, while kalk provides both Calcium and Alkalinity supplements in a balanced fashion. Using only Liquid Calcium will eventually lead to low alk and pH problems. Using Liquid Calcium and baking soda solutions together will raise Ca and alk, but you have to be REALLY precise in measuring the exact amounts in order to make it balanced.
    If the authors of "Finding Nemo" knew anything about Clownfishes, Marlin would turn into a female and Nemo would become her new husband.

sorry to say this but it is fine to add only calcium.. just half dose for long periods of time.. like a bit a night for a week then stop for 1 week..

i read the only 65% of reefers us Kalk..

just thought i'd let you know!!

I know people who add liquid ca even with a calcium reactor or kalk and have seen this on many boards.

Funny thing I was just in a board and stubled accross these very helpful links for calcium adding

http://www.andy-hipkiss.co.uk/cacalc.htm]http://www.andy-hipkiss.co.uk/index.htm?http://www.andy-hipkiss.co.uk/cacalc.htm[/URL]

http://www.kademani.com/reefchem.htm

Cool fisherman

ya reading right off the SEACHEM jug or what: I have that stuff memorized. Now, a couple off points to help out here.
    ya can't just get away with calcium and no buffer or you will have an eventual ionic imbalance and ya don't want that.
    You also don't want to start with KALK first unless your CAL/ALK/PH is exactly were you want it. Its advized to bring your numbers up and then drip KALK to help keep them there and KALK also helps keep PHOSPHATE in check.
    It all depends on what is in your tank and what your calcium uptake is. If you have just a few corals and minor sps then don't waste you money on additives as the saltwater mix will handle it as long as you do your water changes. Strontium and all that crap to me is a waste of time and just another possible overdose. The only and I mean the only other chem, I might add is magnesium which if low will impede calcium uptake for corals but you need to test for this and most of the time adding mag, is not needed. Even easier is buying a calcium reactor set and forget[well, almost] I have a fully stocked tank with tons of SPS and 2 clams in a 90g and I drip kalk and occasionally check the calcium and adjust accordanly. My tank is very stable for 3 years now at 480 cal.Liverock & sand have very little buffering ability's but thats a whole new topic.

great links and advise thanks.
    But I still don't get why you'd add liquid calc if you have it all ok with the kalk?!?
    There's a risk of lowering PH and Alk, if you add too much. So how would you measure the dose?? And does it have an added benefit that kalk doesn't.
    BTW I only let my kalk sit for a few hours...and try and use within the week as per packaging. Is it better to sit it for 24 hrs? The RS said that I needed to use the white stuff on the bottom, and I'm sure that it's the liquid in the middle of the mix. Just after clarification as he was adamant about it...
    "The significant problems we face cannot be solved at the same level of thinking we were at when we created them."
    - Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

TIFF

you want the clear liquid of the KALK. Kalk is lime water and its just fine to stay dripping this and buffer if you tank calcium numbers and alk are okay but,its not as consentrated calcium as a calcium additive and therefore if you have a ton of calcium loving corals or clams the KALK won't be able to keep up. the directions for KALK are 1/2 teaspoon to something crazy like 8 teaspoons per gallon[I think]. I would first start off with the low dosage side of things and just keep testing things. If things are okay then stay there but if not then you need to raise your levels and KALK will not do this for you only the additive will.

if you need more Calcium Hydroxide (Kalk) than your top-off gives, cant you just take a pitcher of water out of your tank, mix some Calcium Hydroxide in there and then pour it back in (slowly in high current) after its desolved? why does it have to be mixed with freshwater? if you do this, then you will be able to dose as much as you need, no?
    Albert
    My Photos

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast