Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

looking for a diamond drill bit supplier

Where can I get a diamond drill bit? Are they available through local stores ex. Home Depot, or are they a specialty item

No you will not likely find them locally as they are rather specialized. Some of the glass hobby shops MAY have them but pricing would likely be steep. This outfit is the only one that returned any mail to me and I bough my bit from them. It is in the mail :-)

http://www.diamonddrillandtool.com/
    Rob

Are there any other methods for drilling glass? I know my dealer had a diffrent bit while ne was waiting for his diamond bit. It was just plain metal, no teeth. I think.

Glass bits don't have teeth. They are metal with diamonds ether bonded to the leading edge or if the more costly type diamonds are forged right into the steel. The difference in pricing is substantial as the more costly ones will service up to 1000 holes while the cheaper ones are good up to about 300 holes. They actually GRIND their way through the glass and slow drill speeds are best. Like 100 to 150 RPM being the recommended speed. If you have only a few holes to drill you could use a high speed dremel. There was a thread at this site not too long ago about drilling with a dremel. Perhaps you can find it.
    Rob

If you are only drilling one or two holes, you can use the bit from Home Depot. That's what we did for our refuge. Here's the link that got us started - http://www.reefaquariumguide.com/for...threadid=29654

We didn't do it exactly like that but if you want details on how we did it, just ask.

Vickie

Vickie please share your experience with as. And as much details as possible.
    Man that goes to bed with itchy butt, wakes up with stinky finger!
    -Confusious

yeah vickie would appreciate the details hard to find anyone around here to drill tanks actuallyits damned near impossible...looking at a DIY job
    Craig

Tank: 77gal reef, deltec AP600 skimmer, 440W VHO lighting.
    Livestock:Coral beauty, Tomato Clown, Yellow Tang, magenta dottyback, 3 stripe damsel, yellow tail damsel, coral banded shrimp

Awesome Vickie. I was looking at that same bit today. All I need is the 1 hole drilled. Thanks so much. You made my night.

I'm not the technical person in the house so forgive me if I don't use the correct terms.

Be sure to get your bulkheads first so that you know what size of hole to drill. Home Depot didn't carry the size that we needed so we special ordered it in from another store (same brand though). The drill that we used had carbide teeth - it wasn't the smooth drill shown in the link. Later, I'll ask my husband for the brand name. We did not use the center drill - instead we used a hole guide of wood.

First we found 2 scrap pieces of wood about 4 inches square. In one, we used the hole drill to drill a hole. Then with a smaller drill (half inch, I think) we drilled a cougle of holes beside the big hole. These little holes were to let the water drain away while drilling the glass.

We then clamped our wood to the tank - the piece without the hole on the inside (to prevent chipping around the hole when the drill goes through) and the piece with the hole on the outside (as a guide for the drill so it doesn't chatter across the glass in the beginning).

We used a variable speed drill and started slow. We gradually increased the speed to medium. This was the first time that we did it so we worked slowly.

My job was to ensure a steady supply of water. We did this outside so all I had to do was hold the hose so that a trickle would fall in the small holes that we had drilled.

It took about 20 minutes to drill through our 25 gallon tank.

It can be done. Good luck.

Vickie

For those in the Ottawa area ... If all goes well and the bit is still serviceable after I help Ivan drill his tanks I will be doing hole drilling (at 2 and 1/2 inches only) until the bit is worn out. I will post a thread in classified when ready.
    Rob

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast