More Kalk questions

From what I've been reading most say to drip kalk before the lights come on or at night after they go out.Does this mean I should stop dripping during the day when the lights are on?Also,I mixed 1 tsp of kalk with 1 gallon of water and began to drip it last night for the first time...aprox 1drip/sec. My Alk was 9dkh and calcium was 360 ..this moring aprox 1/2 of the kalk has been dripped and my alk went to 10 but my Ca is still 360....oh yea ph has remained 8.2 Is this normal ? should I increase the dripor will this take a few days to increase my Ca levels...
    Any suggestions would be appreciated.:grab:

from what i understand kalk will only maintain your levels.
    once you have the desired Alk and Ca levels a slow drip to keep up with evap should be fine
    If your PH dont swing to much you can drip 24/7 but check ph close for the frist few days when you drip Kalk for the frist time if the ph gos up drip at lights out

Thanks Orion,if kalk ONLY maintains my Alk and Ca levels,how can I increase my Ca ? would liquid calcium or some other additive do the trick?

Randy Holmes-Farley has an excellent article about dealing with calcium/alkilinity issues. He includes recommended methods to adjust these parameters depending on the current values. If you need to increase both alk and calcium, then Kalk can be used.

Here's the URL: http://www.advancedaquarist.com/issues/nov2002/chem.htm
    Nick

fisherman.

I wouldn't even bother with KALK yet. your tank is like brand new with maybe 1 small LPS[frog spawn frag] take it easy for now your going to get no real benefit out of KALK at this point. water changes can handle all your tank parms for now.IMO

I was talking more theoretically rather about a specific tank.

Johnny, even if a tank is lightly stocked, if calcium and Alk were decreasing, would you just do water changes or would you considered Kalk or something similar?
    Nick

The reasons Im concerned about my Ca levels is :
    1 I would like to see more purple and pink coraline growth.
    2 looking into getting more corals.
    3 help with unwanted algae problems.

Even though I drip kalk, I still add a 2 part calcium to keep my levels at 420-450. This also helps stabalize my Alk. I drip my kalk 24/7, only slow to cover my evaporation.

Cool

you could drip KALK if you want to but your corraline will grow anyways and it takes a long time normaly for corraline to start.
    algea, I guess if you have phospate in your water KALK will help but the point is to not have phosphate in your water[RO/DI] eeasier said than done as money is always a concern.
    Fisherman, with your lighting you won't be going for a lot of Hard corals as you just can't sustain them at this point and softies with a few LPS are what would do good in your setup. Later when this happens then consider KALK and additives but for now let your tank GROW! "LOL" It tasks months! for a tank to start to settle and a go year before I even condider it stable.

FWIW - I used to drip kalk 24/7 to replace evaporated water. I had to stop when my Ca hit 450 and was still climbing. I didn't have enough corals to use up all that Ca. I am just now starting the kalk drip again (Ca is 420). I've got more corals (thanks Johnny & JeffD) so maybe I'll be OK this time. If your Ca gets too high, then you can get in a precipatation state that is hard to stablize afterwards.

Vickie