Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

In a battle for space who would win?

Just wondering who would stay their ground (or win the battle) between mushrooms and candycanes? Would they even bother each other?

Mushrooms are "secondary" psudo corals, that grow over the dead coral skeltons (live rock) left after SPS, and LPS corals die off, or get killed for some reason. If left un-checked, eventually the mushrooms will over grow the caulastrea. But, caulastrea grows upward, and this makes it tough for mushrooms, and the other issue, is that in a home aquarium, you would have to be pretty lazy about the whole thing for it to ever happen. I have two different caulastrea, and mushrooms growing around the base of both. However, I cut those mushrooms off every six months or so (and propogate them elsewhere), so it should never really be an issue.

Why I ask is because I have a large flat piece of l.r. as one of my top pieces and the mushrooms have come to cover this rock. I've tried kalking small ones that are starting to go off the rock and some go some stay.

Considering the position of the rock I'd much rather have other corals there. They are pretty but not gorgeous like if they were purple/blue. Is there a way of cutting them back more efficiently than kalk? I've tried scrapping them off but they come back lol I now know the problems of mushrooms.

Is there a coral that I could place on adjacent rocks that would hinder them from approaching?

Originally posted by Cake Fan
    Is there a coral that I could place on adjacent rocks that would hinder them from approaching?
    Yes there is, but it depends on the types of corals you want to keep. Are you into SPS type corals because there are some that pack a whallop? I'm asking because of the lighting you have which wouldn't be ideal for the SPS though. Do you have any torch coral or hammer? What about a bubble coral? These should keep the mushrooms at bay.

Originally posted by Toutouche
    Yes there is, but it depends on the types of corals you want to keep. Are you into SPS type corals because there are some that pack a whallop? I'm asking because of the lighting you have which wouldn't be ideal for the SPS though. Do you have any torch coral or hammer? What about a bubble coral? These should keep the mushrooms at bay.
    No I wasn't planning on any SPS types anytime soon. I was thinking about a nice bubble coral as for hammer the rock in question is only about 4" from the top of the water (line) and I don't think that a hammer would be suitable there.

Is there a way to more efficiently remove these guys? I don't want to have this problem to move onto other rocks. I could always remove that rock and buy another one of the same general size (flat and long are hard to find thought) and break it into pieces or see if anyone else wants it!?

mushrooms, oh the dread. Once on a rock,always on a rock! Unless you make it dead rock. They will come back.They just need a few cells to regrow.Personally I'm not sure which is worse,xenia[some types] or mushrooms unless you want a tank with these in there.

John,
    I would say shrooms are worse because they can detach and float away to somewhere else, but Xenia needs to be in contact with the surface it will spread to.

Cake,
    I would say the easiest thing to do would be to simplt exchange the piece of rock with something else. It's actually not that hard to find flat pieces. Have you ever gone to the Auqa tropicale on ferrier and Decarie? At the moment, they have a bunch of rock in the holding vats and you're pretty sure to find a piece in the shape you need.

Originally posted by Toutouche

Cake,
    I would say the easiest thing to do would be to simplt exchange the piece of rock with something else. It's actually not that hard to find flat pieces. Have you ever gone to the Auqa tropicale on ferrier and Decarie? At the moment, they have a bunch of rock in the holding vats and you're pretty sure to find a piece in the shape you need.
    I honestly don't like how he has (or had last year) his l.r. and I don't think it's cured. I know there would be a small amn spike even it it were cured but I just don't trust his rock honestly. I was wondering if he had some magarita snails, I should see if Ivan can get me some if not I'll have to see Aqua. My darn astrae/turbos like the rocks but don't do anything to the glass at the back.......

Nature usually has some but I originally paid $14.99/lbs (special rock from some far off place!?)and don't really like the idea of letting it die (besides the cost issue). Ahh those little buggers I'll just try to keep kalking them but the big ones really put up a fight.

watch those ph spikes with the KALK paste! TOUTOUCHE,
    Xenia can and will drop polyps that will float and attach somewere else,[at least elongata does]spelling is probal incorrect but I've watched it happen with me own 2 eyes.

Originally posted by Johnny Rock
    watch those ph spikes with the KALK paste!
    Thanks for reminding me, I don't dose a lot at once just the weekly battle of those pest anemonies.

Maybe I'll just go see Natalie at Nature and ask her to switch rocks with me. She has small rocks with mushrooms on it for $$$ and she'll probably be able to break with one with into 4 big pieces = $$$ so maybe she'll trade them?! I'll ask her tomorrow.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast