Thread: Help... ASAP!

Help... ASAP!

ok, my friend desided to pass me down 2 shrimp which i know nothing about, nore did i know he was giving them to me, i found information on them, but i want to know what poeple think about the

Banded Coral Shrimp
    and a Rock Shrimp, if youi had them please tell me! their sitting in bags i am scared to let them go in my tanks
    :fish3: Little Boy Blue :fish3:

The Coral Banded Shrimp appears to be reef safe from a few sites that I checked. The rock shrimp was harder to find unless I wanted a recipe to eat it. LOL Per this site, both are reef safe. http://members.aol.com/dropnet/Shrimp.html

Vickie

You are planing on acclimating them for at least 2 hours on a drip EH. Don't just float them and then dump them in!
    Rob

You should be OK, but list the other livestock you currently keep. A coral banded can be a bit on the preditory side, especially to much smaller creatures.

Zookeeper is correct. Coral Banded shrimp have been know to go on the prowl at night and feed on small fish like Gobi's. they just catch them while they are settled in for the night and ... yum yum.
    Rob

CB shrimp are technically reef safe and many, many people keep them. However, they are a bit more aggressive than other shrimps. They will standup to fish rather often. Another thing to remember is that while most reef safe shrimps are scavengers and feed mostly on leftover food or dying/dead things, coral banded shrimps are opportunistic predators. This means they will actively hunt the sandbed for little critters and may go after a snail or two if hungry enough. They can also go after tiny gobies such as the tiny striped cleaner types and other similar types if they wanted to. I also had one but removed it after I actually saw it with my own eyes pull a big hawaiian featherduster out of it's tube and kill it!!!!:crap: and in case you're wondering, the f duster was healthy and very much alive. It wasn't already hanging out of the tube and was actually fighting back and trying to pull into the tube. I was shocked when I saw it happening. To be fair, I also know of many people that have never had problems with them. I think they are one of those toss up animals that sometimes don't read the same books as we do and don't know how they should act.

well i am going to give it a try if he kills something i will move him into my nano, with nothing in it, and see how that goes, thanks for everyone guys :P

the funny thing is the rock shrimp i heard was not reef safe, right after i put him in, i found out i tryed looking for him but no luck
    :fish3: Little Boy Blue :fish3:

I had a coral banded shrimp and he got pretty big-I also suspected he ate one of my smaller fish when he was sleeping. They are very bold you can feed them pieces of fish, crab, or shimp by hand- he climbed right up to the top and took it out of my hand!mg3: