Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    liv

redoing landscaping...

Hi,
    I need suggestions on landscaping with LR and BR.
    I currently have 80lbs of BR and ~8lbs of liverock
    I will be adding ~75lbs LR tomorrow.

what you guys/gals prefer. suggestions...
    any advantages to some types ??

so far i got 3 different ways,

1st: make a wall at the back, and keep the front totally free for roaming. ( might be great to have 6' straight to swim into since I plan on getting 1 or 2 tangs.)

2nd: make one giant island in the middle ?

3rd: make two islands seperated by a channel ?

also, keep in mind my tank is narrow and long.
    ( 72Lx18wx24h )

all comments appreciated !!

I don't like the idea of putting all the rock against the back for several reasons a few of which are they weight against the back wall and no access.

My l.r. starts off as rubble on the ends, gradually higher and comes to a flat peak. This leaves the back and front open for swimming and the ends as well because it's only rubble. Also I like the idea of the weight being distributed evenly across the tank.

As for islands I've seen many pretty formations made this way but I don't know if you can do that with lots of l.r.

Visually, I like the look of tanks with two assymetric islands, one taller/bigger than the other. Whether that can work in your shape tank is another question. If you go with more of a 'wall' effect, having lots of tunnels, etc. adds a nice effect (as well as helping flow).
    Nick

I have a large island and a small island linked by a long flat rock to form a small bridge. The fish like to swim under and around it ,and I have a platform for corals to go on (eventually)

liv
    I ended up making a long line accross the floor.. leaving both back and front lots of space to swim around.. and tried to create as much caves to fishies to swim in..

I got more LR and BR and 3 more fishies..
    soo far all seems fine ! makes a big change in the lighting of the tank.. I used to think my 4 actinics were enough and that putting the MH on was just for corals.. but with the amount of rock in it now, actinics just dont cut it.

hehe... liv take new picture and post it..

i want to see it..

liv
    ok.. will do tonight

moving.. so temporarily out of SW :b8:
    planning next tank, possibly 60x30x20 on 2x plasma.
    updated: 2011/05/30

i would go with the "two islands" set up, and it can end up becoming like one big stucture but with lots channels and caves within it.
    Albert
    My Photos

Liv, i know you've already landscaped your tank, and I just recently did as well. I followed a few rules of thumb that might help others undertaking a remodeling of their tanks.

Most people start with the large pieces on the bottom, and put the smaller ones on top. I did the opposite. I took small pieces and buried them in the sand bed. I then took larger pieces and started making bridges. I made three seperate islands, and then joined them with bridges a well. The effect turned out real nice. Lots of caves and cracks for the fish to swim through and explore. It also gave me a layered stacking that allowed me to display my corals better than ever before.

I will post pictures later, once I have upgraded my MH lighting.

The BEST rule of thumb for seascapeing a reef tank is to not redo it. Set it up and leave it alone. You can change the look as you add new rock or corals. The best thing you can do for your tank is to leave it alone as much as is possible. Unless absolutely necessary for maintenance I would strongly recommend that you keep your arm out of the tank!!!
    Rob

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast