Getting rid of sulphate in my gravel

I want to know what to do to get ride of the sulphate( I think that's what it's called) from my sand. You know how it turns black and has that rotten egg smell. I have a about 75lbs of it in a tank I just shut down about a month ago, and I wanted to use some of it for my refugium. But scooping it out today noticed it was not ready to be added right away. So it's in a container right now and I added just some fresh water to it. But what do I have to do to clean it up better.

RINSE, RINSE, RINSE and RINSE some more in a bucket with an on going supply of fresh water from a hose or faucet until all dust and smell are gone. Just keep turning the gravel over with your hands under the fresh water supply until the runoff water is as clean as it can be. Depending on the size of the graven you may be able to use a strainer. You should do this will all the gravel and dry the stuff you don't need in the afternoon sun and when dry store it in a bag.
    Rob

Originally posted by One Salty Dog
    RINSE, RINSE, RINSE and RINSE some more in a bucket with an on going supply of fresh water from a hose or faucet until all dust and smell are gone. Just keep turning the gravel over with your hands under the fresh water supply until the runoff water is as clean as it can be. Depending on the size of the gravel you may be able to use a strainer. You should do this will all the gravel and dry the stuff you don't need in the afternoon sun and when dry store it in a bag.
    Rob

After washing it can it be used right away?

YES you can use it right away just get as much or the rinsing water as you can out of it. A nylon sock or panty hose works well to drain it.
    Rob

Hey Ivan ... how did a post I did get put up again as a quote by me??? LOL LOL lOL
    Rob