Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Total Crash

Total Crash

Hi,

I jsute wanted your advices on something. I left to work in the morning my tank was fine. When I got back the water was verry warm and opaque. And my clowns were swimming in the bottom so i tought they were sick, not even 2 hours after (even before I had time to go to the pet store) they were dead and my emerald crab too, and the waster now is verry opaque still, a pale greenish color. My heater has not been running at all. I hade a fluval 204 running in my 25g tank. My protein skimer was not setup yet a part is missing. Could it be just the fact that the skimmer was not working that my fishes died.

Isabelle
    25g Reef

A skimmer adds lots of oxygen to the water but that doesn't sound like a problem. How did the water get "very warm"? Was it the lights? What caused "opaque" water? Do you have any idea?

High temp will lower the available oxygen in the water and cause debris to decompose faster possibly causing opaque water. Water with a greenish tint is usually caused by algae in the water column.

What are you ammonia, nitrite and nitrate readings? Since your tank is still cycling (I'm not sure how it can be still cycling since 20 Aug.), maybe those readings were too high for the clowns.

Vickie

If the water is as warm as you are indicating ether the heater or other piece of equipment failed, which would over heat the tank and force all the oxygen out of the water, or the tank is in a window and the sun did the same thing. In ether case it's a BUMMER.Test the equipment / move the tank out of the window. The warmer the water the less oxygen it will hold, What was the temp, did you test the water?
    Rob

Ho, my tank is not cycling I forgot to change my stat sorry. teh water heater looked fine and was not working at all, could be the light that warmed it but it does not usualy do that. I have the tank stat at home, sorry about that. I will post them today, i will try water change and filter media change too.
    25g Reef

I don't really understand the warm water, but the green opaque color, I lived it also. What this opaque color is, it's suspended algae. it's hard to get rid of. The reason your fish and crab died is because of high ammonia. When the algae in the tank blooms in such a way, it produces high ammonia, especially when it dies off.
    Solving the problem: time and patience. Beleive, I know it sucks, you get home and see a green tank.... very disapointing. to be able to let time fix the problem, you need to limit the lighting of the tank, limit the amount of food or nutrients added to the tank and check your levels. High ammonia will decrease the pH so monitor that also. In my case, high phosphate was the problem. I bought a phosphate remover and it went away eventually, but not the next day. I'm sorry to say there is no simple solution. If it is a phosphate problem, you must stop it right away, as phosphate is a fertilizer and is being consumed by the algae. City water might carry some in their stream so carefull.
    I tried changing 90% of the water. it helped, but it became the same the next day. It takes a year before the tank is fully cycled, and I'm not talking about just the nitrogen cycle. There is alot going on in there and you want to leave it time to stabalize.
    Let us know how it goes and don't give up... you'll be happy once it's all over. Sadly, a crash is part of the hobby and of the learning curve.....
    Do or do not. There is no "try" - Jedi Master Yoda

Unhappy

mmm, sounds like a few things to me.the heater sound like it stuck on[its probaly a cheapo heater right?] Your tank sounds very new to me and are you sure its not still cycling? how old is it? on a small tank like that[any tank] you should have a skimmer going for sure. Your using a fluval so you'll have to keep those very clean, maybe run some carbon at this point and add s power head. One thing I'd like to add and don't take this to personal but why would you even attempt an Anenome on such a new tank with improper lighting/filtration and inexperience? Those anenomes grow huge and to me are not sustainable in a 25g. Please please read up on what you want to add or ask here first because your just dooming things to death.Don't mean to be rude but most LFS will sell you anything just to make a buck.

oh yah, and the protein skimmer will really help as it'll skim all that guew in the water.... it won't solve the problem though.

im saving money for a Hangon skimmer/fuge.. from harley.. since my tank is small the extra water volume will be apprecaited..

The anemone was not my idea, but try to argue with an impatient man lol I should have stand my grounds and waited. I was suposed to get a bigger tank after a few month. so I tough I had time to upgrade before the anemone would grow. And I remember adding some calcium the day before the crash and yes amonia and some stats were high. I changed my filter media recently, but maby I still need a change. I will by the missing part from my skimmer tonight. I had it setup with 2 pump instead of one but I noticed that one of the pump is no good. As for the heater it is not a cheap one and was no in operation but could be lighting or maby warmer than usual in the apartment. I aslo wanted to know, marin tank in front of a window would it be bad for the tank. Righ now its in no direct sunlight. The place where I plan on putting my bigger tank would be in front of a window, with blind naturaly so I can shad the aquarium. Juste wanted your tought please.
    25g Reef

indeed it's a bad idea as you don't have full control on the light and you also get heating issues.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast