Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: pH Max?

pH Max?

What is the highest the pH can ever get without causing any permanent damage?
    in other words, at what point would it be considered an emergency to lower it, and how would one lower it?
    Albert
    My Photos

I once had a disaster with a runaway Kalk topoff. I got my ph above 9 (it is hard to test when it gets that high). I brought it down with vinager to below 8.6. Randy Holmes-Farley told me to use emergency measures to get below 8.7 and let it settle from there.

I hope that helps,

Bill

Bvoss .... For future reference ... how much vinegar did he tell you to add per gallon of water as a starting point?
    Rob

ok, b/c that was my situation as well. the kalk which i was dripping spilled into the tank and my pH got to about 8.7-8.8 the highest. I just shut the lights so that it will drop naturally. now with the lights on it goes as high as 8.6 which i guess is survivable until it naturally continues to drop.
    You just mixed some vinigar with water and poured it into your tank? i dont think i have the guts to do that.
    Albert
    My Photos

It was a 90 gallon and I think I added about 2 cups. It wasn't pretty, but I didn't loose a single critter. It took me weeks to get my alk and calc stable again after the precip event.

Bill

i didnt see anything precipitate out, i was planning on adding it anyway, (just slower). All i had a a pH spike and nothing got lost (thank god) - although it may have been good to precipitate out phosphates as they precipitate out at higher pH.
    Albert
    My Photos

Alrha,
    Just remember that a PH reading is exponential and the important thing is it should vary SLOOOOWLY!!!!! WHile accidents hapen and it might shoot up skyhigh, it's more important to bring it down way slow. Pouring in the vinegar would just cause a second shock and while things might survive 1 shock, it's always Russian roulette to shock them a second time. If you want to add some vinegar to bring it down, add it in small amounts and monitor the levels. You shouldn't change more than one point every 24 hrs.

well i am not adding anything, as it seems that 8.6 does not call for emergency procedures.
    (8.2-8.4 is the ideal, right?)
    Albert
    My Photos

8.3 is the 'ideal', At 8.8 your Alk may drop,
    and I'd just slowly lower it as Toutouche said to levels you want. Don't worry about using vinegar, I've used vinegar in my tank many times to kill Aiptasia and nothing was hurt or damaged in the process. I had to put 40cc into one enormous one and it's still alive.... and that didn't include the other 5 a day I was trying to kill. (Yup!! still waiting on the Copper-band)
    "The significant problems we face cannot be solved at the same level of thinking we were at when we created them."
    - Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

still waiting for the copperband? they come from your neck of the woods.
    my pH is now back at 8.4, so i'm good.
    Albert
    My Photos

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast