Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    liv

what is this ? came with some liverock

I circled it out. did'nt see anybody's tank with those yet.
    what is this.. friend or foe ? lemme know :

has a big mought in the middle and tenticles seem to be feeding it from time to time.

They look like aptasia anemonies to me.......sorry, that'd be a foe. Try covering them (well) with epoxy. Peppermint shrimp eat them, but also eat some types of stylophora and seriatopora- otherwise pretty reef safe. Copperband b-flys also eat them, but will also eat all of your featherduster and other beneficial worms. Feeding them a concentrated paste of k.w. has also been used, but i've heard that this method only makes them partially disolve, leaving tiny babies behind.
    When fed well thes leittle monsters have the ability to reproduce like rabbits- I have also seen them just sit there and do nothing. But, if I were you, I'd act swiftly and agressively.
    Matt.

Old system torn down to make a playroom.. planning a 62x42x28 high

ijo
    We have a box of Joe's Juice arriving on Tuesday... I've read great things about this product and its ability to rid manjo and aptasia anemonies... here is a link http://www.joesjuice.com

IJO

liv
    great to know.. i was moving some stuff and probebly found 10+ wow.. they are everywhere.. let me know the price of that stuff...

does it have to be fed directly or can I apply it in the water? because there is a bunch I did'nt see and wont get until i see it.

and all this time.. i taught they were cute.

moving.. so temporarily out of SW :b8:
    planning next tank, possibly 60x30x20 on 2x plasma.
    updated: 2011/05/30

ijo
    You have to feed them. Retail should be in the area of $10 per 20 ml bottle.

Smile from the pic

From what I can see that is not your common aptasia. There is a latin name that I'm sure TANG MAN will come up with but it is also known as a glass anenome and a few other names. It has a little calcerious skeleton and clear/transparent tentacles. I have one for 3 years now and has yet to reproduce or grow. There very stationary and quite frankly harmless.I'll try to find the proper name as well.Don't kill it LIV! there very nice looking.

LIV

here ya go, some info on what ya have.I have 1 as I mentioned and they do sting but just give it space. they grow so so slow.http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/sh...hlight=aptasia

I disegree, Johnny, especially if Liv has a whole crop of them she didn't notice before. I know the stationary coral you are talking about and they are harmless - I find they are usually in very low light spots. I really think the things in the photo are aptasia especially from the location. Liv, keep in mind that they are only a problem if they are stinging or irritating other corals in the tank, if they do no harm, it's only a matter of aesthetics. However, if you've got more than ten, they must be happy and happy aptasia usually means unhappy tank inhabitants.
    Matt.

Old system torn down to make a playroom.. planning a 62x42x28 high

Talking reefmutt

I'll bet ya $10 thats not an aptasia! I can tell from the pic as I can see the skeleton right thru the transparent tentacles. Tell us LIV. are the tentacles white/clear? and you should see sorta some skeleton/hard part under the tentacles. Touch the coral and when it retracts you should see hard body part.I have 1 in my tank and it looks just like that pic. An aptasia is brown with no skeleton at all and will disappear completely when touched. P.S LIV is a guy.
    ALSO, I'm just talking about the top pic as the bottom one is not clear enough to determin.

I had 3 that I could see and I used vinegar as suggested by a few ppl here. I got 1 real good since it jumped out of its hole and I scooped it out. The other two disappeared into their hole and haven't seen them since....but probably just regrouping for an attack a little bit later.
    thanks.
    thien

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast