Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    liv

I need to add another element in the cleaning crew...

Hi All,

I am looking for suggestions on a fish or what ever makes a good job or cleaning and stirring the sand bed.

I have been reading up on cucumbers, but most of them dont seem to do such a great job, then there is stars, and sand snails like the fithing conch.

what are you suggesting ? and why ?

Liv

I have a brittle star(black), he was a hitcher on the l.r. and I was sure he wouldn't make the cycle but he's going on 4yrs (in Sept.) being in my tank.

He comes out and crawls around the sand (mostly at night) and he eats whatever the worms etc leave behind. I give him small chunks of scallops every once in a while.

If I had a choice I'd have bought a red one but he was free!

liv
    I was reading on previous posts..
    and they were really looking at two things:

Olive snails and Tiger-tail cucumbers.

I'll ask Ijo if he can get any of those.. unless someone has some to get rid of :

moving.. so temporarily out of SW :b8:
    planning next tank, possibly 60x30x20 on 2x plasma.
    updated: 2011/05/30

Senior Member tang_man_montreal's Avatar
    Liv,

Black cukes are great IMO. Ask Toutouche as well.
    Tigertail cukes are very reclusive, and can be problematic as they do tend to burrow under rockwork.
    Then you have Conch's that are great at stirring up the bed, however they'll sometimes "hibernate" for weeks at a time.

Stay away from "Sand Stars".... They will deplete your sandbed's bio population...

I have no experience with Olive snails.
    I am Homer of BORG... Prepare to be..OOOO!! DONUT!!!!!!

I swear by Tiger Tails. I have two (started with one) and my sandbed is always spotless white.

However, my base rocks also go all the way to the bottom glass, so there is very little danger of my rock work collapsing. Tang Man is right, in that they do borrow a bit, and I could see them toppling some rocks, if your rock work is just sitting on the sand.

I also keep olive snails, but while they do "strir" the sand, they are scavengers, and don't "clean" the sand like the Tiger Tails do.

I stay away from cukes, in particular the black ones, they have a tendency to die from starvation and crash the tank, there's a post on MASA that I'll try find for you called 'cuke nuke"
    Snails are great, and a variety is better as they all eat different things.
    The bristle star is one I'd have if I ever saw another one in the RS.
    Have you thought about shrimps, ie: the cleaner shrimp, cleans the fish of parasites and eats the gunk of the floor, they're expensive. The coral banded shrimp has a tendency to eat the sand critters, so I'd stay away from them.
    Alot of people have hermit crabs, but I need to do some research b4 I can testify to their critter worthiness!!!
    "The significant problems we face cannot be solved at the same level of thinking we were at when we created them."
    - Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Here's one of the links on the cuke debate. I hope it helps. It has pro's and con's and is a long post.....http://www.masa.asn.au/rtaw/showflat...=&fpart=1&vc=1
    I'll have another look later, I have to go to Uni now...
    "The significant problems we face cannot be solved at the same level of thinking we were at when we created them."
    - Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

will a tiger tail work on crushed coral?
    Do or do not. There is no "try" - Jedi Master Yoda

liv
    you mean aragonite ?

moving.. so temporarily out of SW :b8:
    planning next tank, possibly 60x30x20 on 2x plasma.
    updated: 2011/05/30

cucmbers need fine sand to sift as they actaully ingest it. I have a 3:1 ratio of fine ollitic sand and some coarser stuff. TIGER TAILS are not normaly a problem when associated with NUKING tanks as they'll just die like anything else and if not removed they will pollute. Black[turd] cukes are fine as well. I've had mine[tigertail] for 3 years and multiple tank changes with no probs and I know many others who keep this cuke as well. While they are reclusive they work the night shift mostly and they do a fine job.Conchs work as well as olive snails.Margaritas and Cerith,they all work as a team in different departments[like our government]

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast