Thread: star polyps

star polyps

How do I get my green star polyp, back to green? had a diatom outbreak a few months back and they never came out now that the diatoms have been gone for a while they no longer have any colour. They are just a dull purple, with a small bit of green on the tips.

rj
    Banned
    They just haven't reopened yet is my guess....if the knobs are purple with a bit of green at the tip...that is the case...

GSP's are very resiliant. I once had a frag that got burried in the sand for a few weeks and they came back. Make sure they are getting lots of light, and good circulation.

All polyps are funny that way...it may take a long time but they will come back in colour. I believe lighting is key. I keep all mine under 3 VHO atinics, and a 10000K 400 watt MH...keep the calcium and ALK in check and they'll be back. I feedmine naturally with the refugium and cyclop-eeze...
    The only thing two reef keepers will agree on, is what the third reef keeper is doing wrong!

they are always open, very long tenticles, but just no colour. What is cyclop-eeze?

Cyclop-eeze is a food that IJO sells here...go in teh shoping section and read about it. I just started using it and love it. Corals eat it and the fish love it too...
    The only thing two reef keepers will agree on, is what the third reef keeper is doing wrong!

I believe that star polyps are photosynthetic only, and therefore do not capture food from the water column. However, if you would like to know more about the "super food" know as Cyclop Eeze, check out this site:

http://www.cyclop-eeze.com/