GIANT hermit crabs

I was in my local suckie high priced pet shop last night and noticed something I have never seen before... HUGE hermit crabs... the shells must have been 3 inches wide maybe more... has anyone seen these before ? are they reef and hermit-snail safe ? I almost bough one @ 22$ each but was worried they would harm something in my tank...
    ======================
    sold the 77gallon back in 2005, looking to setup a nano

i seen the same here in st. johns. freak of nature.. i would'nt get them. my freind had one kill a couple of corals and a sand anemone.

yeah i had a bad feeling about them... although they are very cool... maybe worst comes to worst you could boil them and make crab soup
    ======================

Which store was this? I was just down there a couple days ago. (without naming names) if it's the small store with the pink tip anemones. be careful of what you get... the trigger was scratching itself against stuff in the tank, and the angel was on it's last legs when I saw them.

Chris
    All misspelling is considered intellectual property of it's owner, and is not to be tampered with.

this was down at PU in fredericton... where were you at ?
    ======================

I went to both places.... PU, and place by blockbuster. PU had an Emerald Mythrax crab, and a few large hermits in Astrea shells when I went there. Not much else though.... maybe a damsel or two.

I went to Bathurst a couple of weeks ago... the place I stopped into only had one SW tank with a bad case of hair algae. They had a few fish, bubble coral, candycane, LTA. I picked up the candycane on an impulse buy... brown outer polyp with green center with around 6 heads. ($60 ) It was in OK shape, but the polyps weren't fully out. Looks much better now after target feeding it 2X a week, the polyps are much more fleshy,and are mushed up against each other during the day. There is another place there that is suppose to have a lot more SW suff, but didn't have time to go look.

Chris
    All misspelling is considered intellectual property of it's owner, and is not to be tampered with.

i think i would be staying away from them for sure!

I had one and he was awesome! He,well his shell we measured was 13" around. He was safe in my FOWLR and never bothered those fish and they didn't bother him. I then decided to put a bunch of mushrooms and xenia etc in the tank and he literally chopped them up into tiny pieces?? didn't eat them, just chopped them. We then changed his name to Edward scissor hands! My friends still has him in her FO tank and he spends hours chopping up her hair algae! He got really tame and would scurry over you to take his meals. He was too funny.
    Lynn