Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Seahorses?

Seahorses?

I'm just wondering if anyone here keeps seahorses. I'm thinking of setting up a tank for some and looking for feedback.

Thanks!
    James...

"Knowing is half the battle!" ~ G.I. JOE

CDnDude,
    While I have never kept any myself, I can say that SeaHorses should not be allowed to be sold. They simply don't survive. No matter how hard you try, it just doesn't happen longterm. On RC, there was a lady who had tons of tanks running just to produce different livefoods to feed some Shorses she had ( she was basically into Shorses only) and no matter what, they simply perished over time. She eventually gave up on trying. She was also considered the "expert" more or less on keeping them in a tank and even she couldn't be successful long term.

Try talking to Aaron at Seanic, in Guelph, ON. He specializes in seahorses.

http://www.seanic.ca/
    Man cannot live on bread alone --
    He must also have his peanut butter

pt109...I'm going to see him on the weekend.

Toutouche,

Are you sure you aren't thinking of WC seahorses? Everything I've been reading, and the people I've been talking to all mostly have/sell CB seahorses. CB SHs are also raised on frozen food(unless you get one of the dwarf species which require live BBS everyday) From what I've been reading...and on the advice of experienced SH keepers that I've talked to, SHs should live for several years if their needs are provided for. There are several other marine fish that aren't able to survive in captivity...and shouldn't be sold in the aquarium trade. I think WC seahorses are one of them...CB seahorses seem to be another story.
    James...

Well...., then I've also learned something tonight. As I said, I have never had any ( although my wife has always wanted some) so you probably know a lot more than I do about them.
    I think you'll get your answers from Aaron.

I think the most important thing is that you get CB SHs of high quality. They also have to be able to eat frozen food...which WC SHs won't do.

From the little I've talked with Aaron he seems to know his stuff. I'm looking forward to checking out his setup.
    James...

Definately drop a line to Aaron at seanic aquariums. He's probably the top guy for breeding adn caring for seahorses.

www.seanic.ca

He'll answer anything you need to know.
    The only thing two reef keepers will agree on, is what the third reef keeper is doing wrong!

Hi Canadian Guy, I have seahorses so if there is anything I can help you with let me know!

Canadian Guy - believe it or not, I'll be in Kitchener-Waterloo this coming weekend, and may drop in on Aaron Sat. PM, after picking up some stuff at Mouse6196's.
    I'm not keeping seahorses, but it's been 5 years since last visited Seanic for live rock!
    Perhaps we'll bump into one another??
    Man cannot live on bread alone --
    He must also have his peanut butter

I'll give you the directions pt109...drop him an email to make arrangements so he sets aside time for you ...he's very knowledgeable
    The only thing two reef keepers will agree on, is what the third reef keeper is doing wrong!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast