Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Unhappy help my starfish lost two arms!

Today my burgandy Linka mysteriously lost two arms.. and I'm at a loss as to why it happened, or if it's dying or if this happens alot?! The two arms are now independantly crawling around the tank!!! mfg2:
    The starfish is still crawling around too, and is amazingly spry considering he lost alot of moblility!! Yesterday I did a water change, and added my new power compact lights... other then that nothing has changed- water prameters are great... nothing else is affected from what I can see! Should I panic?! Should I get those crazy independantly moving arms out of there? Right now it would mean ripping the tank apart since they have crawled into a cave work.. yoiks.
    I didn't get a pic of the arms that turned out. Basically looks like a big slinky.
    (this happens as I'm getting ready to go on vacation for the first time, since I've had the tank!)
    I've noticed that raising kids & fish are similar: Patience & dedication really pays off!

Re: help my starfish lost two arms!

Originally posted by coral
    Today my burgandy Linka mysteriously lost two arms.. and I'm at a loss as to why it happened, or if it's dying or if this happens alot?! The two arms are now independantly crawling around the tank!!! mfg2:
    The starfish is still crawling around too, and is amazingly spry considering he lost alot of moblility!! Yesterday I did a water change, and added my new power compact lights... other then that nothing has changed- water prameters are great... nothing else is affected from what I can see! Should I panic?! Should I get those crazy independantly moving arms out of there? Right now it would mean ripping the tank apart since they have crawled into a cave work.. yoiks.
    I didn't get a pic of the arms that turned out. Basically looks like a big slinky.
    (this happens as I'm getting ready to go on vacation for the first time, since I've had the tank!)
    I believe he's just spawned leave them.

http://reefcentral.com/forums/showth...t=starfish+leg

Hello

This is a form of auto-fragmintation asexual reproduction that is quite popular in the Linckia genus. Most starfish reproduce though sexual means. Fragmintation is beliveved to be a response when the starfish has no mate. This is way cool he or she must be a happy camper in a way LOL

Stan

WHEW!! Wow.. what a way to procreate! Thanks! I thought it must be ok since it was a 'clean' break... but I was worried! Nature is so freaky! Thanks again.
    I've noticed that raising kids & fish are similar: Patience & dedication really pays off!

Hey .. it's that same for us humans ... kids cost an arm and a leg :-)
    Rob

LOL S dog! yup I feel much better knowing the starfish is just doing what comes naturally! I finally got a pic of one of the arms when it came out of the cave (Still not a great shot tho!):
    http://aquariacanada.com/PhotoPost/s....php?photo=728

Thanks for the awesome link Cakefan!

NP I hope it turns out that they both survive (which from that pic seems like they are doing well) and you'll be looking to find them a nice home

Coral,
    Obviously you already have the answer you're looking for but I just wanted to add that when these stars do this on their own, there is a section of the middle disk that stays with the arm and in this is the nerve center. As long as they have this with the arm, it will grow into a whole new star. It'll look funny for quite awhile though as the original leg will always be bigger than the others. In the hobby, these stars are usually nicknamed a "shooting star" because of what it looks like.
    For future referance, not many people realize this but if you're ever in a LFS searching to buy a star and you happen upon one that is a shooting star which otherwise looks healthy, it is generally recommended to buy that one because if it regrew into a whole star, it means that it is a very healthy and strong specimen and should do very well in your tank. Most epople actually think it is a deformed specimen and will stay away from it...., wrong choice!!!!!

Not to be the spot of rain in the parade but, ....

My burgundy linckia did that too. It would twist off arms or parts of its arms and then the dismembered arms would crawl around the tank. Unfortunately none of the pieces survived and the starfish eventually disappeared as well. I can't help but wonder if it can be a form of stress response as well as means of reproduction. I hope your story ends out better than mine did.
    -Tony

My next hobby will be flooding my basement while repeatedly banging my head against a brick wall and tearing up $100 bills. Whee!

thank you Toutouche I was hoping to hear from you, since you have alot of Linka knowledge
    Thanks for the warning Dephinus-I will definitely watch it. This morning the smaller arm was all shriveled up & looks like it won't make it, but the larger arm from the pic I posted is still cruising.. I hope he makes it too! I'm adding a bit of vitamins to the water, & keeping an eye on it. Thanks again! I'll post any new developements!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast