Thread: Empty Sea Shell

Empty Sea Shell

I was always looking for those and I think I found the perfect shells for hermit crabs. My mother live in Dominican republic during winter and she is comming back soon. I asked her to bring me back a ziplock of sea shells . I used to collect them when I was younger... too bad I gave everything to my freinds for souvenir hahaha. If she can bring enough I would consider sharing them. I also found some shells in the dolorama stores, in the craft section verry pretty for crafting but din't think much to use them for the hermits. I will put a few in my tank and see if some crab look at them, (they seam to be natural and I will clean them naturaly). Never know. . I lost a few hermit because I couldn't find some shells. I have a few left in my aquarium. And I noticed that I have like 3 baby feather dusters. They seams to be doing well they survived the aquarium crash I was suprised I didn't think to look for them I jsut assumed they passed away with the rest but gee those things are realy tuff .
    25g Reef

If you want to keep hermits, you have to keep them supplied with replacement shells. Not having larger shells to move into is one of the prime reasons they die, or kill snails. I usually hit up people I know who are going south for vacations to bring me back some (I give them a sample of the type I'm looking for). I have also occasionally had luck finding them a dollar stores as well. Wherever they come from though, I always boil them first before I put them in the tank.

It should also be obvious, but I'll mention it anyway, don't use shells that have been varnished, coloured, or obviously treated in any way.

Those replacement shell are harder to find than I tought but now that I think about were my mom lives I can get a fresh batch every year lol.
    25g Reef

Hit the EX and go into the crafts shows .. they seem too have a good supply :-) Might have to boil them and check that they have not been coated with anything.
    Rob