Thread: Durso Standpipe

Durso Standpipe

Well I finally after all these years installed a DURSO STANDPIPE in my overflow. My tank has always been in the basement adn noise was never an issue but I thought I should install one just for sake of doing something new. The parts cost me under 13 bucks and I can't believe how well they work. There is no noise at all from teh overflow now. If anyone is interested in making one for themselves here's the site I uses.

I use 1.5" pipe but on the same design as this one. I would recommend one to anyone with an overflow box.

http://www.rl180reef.com/frames.htm
    The only thing two reef keepers will agree on, is what the third reef keeper is doing wrong!

Great info !

I used 1.5" pipe in mine too. It's amazing how easy these are to build. Absolutely quiet too. I stuck a length of straw into my little air hole in the top so that I don't have to worry about salt crust in there. Hasn't clogged in two and a half years.
    Susan

I've heard of guys using air tubing and a valve also but once you get the right size hole you never have to adjust it. I started with a 1/16th adn went all the way up to 11/64. I just used one bit larger at a time until the water level stayed level with the elbow. Easy as pie....
    The only thing two reef keepers will agree on, is what the third reef keeper is doing wrong!

I don't use a valve, just stuck a straw in the hole when I had it the right size. It just keeps the hole from getting clogged up.
    Susan

this is all very nice, but as I thought of doing the same until I thought about getting a simple overflow box. Why not simply use an overflow box, so you don't take up all that room in the tank?
    Do or do not. There is no "try" - Jedi Master Yoda

Conan,
    What do you mean? Are you talking about a small box up near the top only and inside the tank? If so, then yeah that would also work, but the Durso cuts down all wtaerfall effect, even if it's onlt 1 or 2 inches. The water level is regulated by you and how high you place the Durso.

To everyone else using one of these. As Susan pointed out, yes there can be salt creep buildup beacuse of the air being sucked in and drying the water around the hole. This in turn will eventually lead to the hole slowly closing up with dried salt. As Susan has done with her straw, I have stuck a length of tubing down the hole. This waym the end inside the Durso stays wet since it is in the water in the pipe and the other end stays dry because it is not near the actual water. If you have nothing such as a tube or straw in the hole, it would be a good practice to check it every 2 or 3 months and clean out the hole because this can effect the water level and suction of water.

yes, touche that's what I meant. does a little overflow box make so much noise?

I have seen some on a tank or two and if they are shallow enough, I would assume it cancels the waterfall effect much the same as the Durso would. Put it this way.., the tanks that I saw with these boxes did not need any Durso because they were quiet enough. I think they tend to help MORE in built in overflows that are much deeper.

yes, I agree with the built-in models....