Thread: urchin info?

urchin info?

I'm thinking about getting an urchin. My dealer has pencil, and long spines in. Which are better? This is for a 180g reef. Thanks

I don't like any urchin as they eat corraline algae which I want to grow in my tank, and they knock over corals. Fora fish only tank they are great but not in a reef.
    The only thing two reef keepers will agree on, is what the third reef keeper is doing wrong!

I have the blue tux and the long spined black urchin in my tank. Yes they eat corraline algae but they also spread the corraline algae spores which causes more to grow. I've had my tux since May/June/03 and I still have plenty of corraline algae (no bare spots that I can see).

I recently added the diatom (long spined black) urchin because some (Flame Angel for one) said it was better at eating all types of algae. It's too early to tell but I do know that it moves around a lot and the corals will react if the spines touch them. After the urchin moves away, it only takes a few minutes and the corals are out again.

Most of my corals are glued to rocks so the urchins haven't had an opportunity to knock them over.

I do know that the neighbour's two girls love to watch the tux and are always interested in what he has on his back. I'm looking forward to their comments on the spiney urchin.

Vickie

I agree vith vjvl51 - urchins spread more coralline than they eat. A diadema long spined urchin is the best hair algae eater there is. He also keeps other algaes from getting a chance to take hold.

He does knock corals over if they aren't secured but there are more reasons than just urchins to have your corals anchored. A little epoxy works fine.
    Susan

sorry it was a pin cushion not a long spined that my dealer had. Anyways I'm not to concerned with it eating coraline I want to see how it will help with my hair algae. If it works good I can always take it back when my problem finally goes away.

If you want a hair algae eater go with the long spined. All urchins will eat it but not to the extent that the long spined will.

I remember when I got him it took him a few days of settling in before he did much of anything. Then it was a while before he got to the hair algae but once he started there was no stopping him.

I wouldn't have a tank without one now. Two and a half years later I still have hair algae, it grows only where the urchin can't get it - on the SeaSwirls. Every other nook and cranny of the tank is spotless. I know that if he was gone I'd have a serious problem. Well no, actually, I'd get another.
    Susan