Thread: Hairy Mushrooms

Hairy Mushrooms

This maybe a silly question... But how big do mushrooms get? Or do they just keep growing and growing? I have 2 that I swear are on steriods! They are atleast the size of a bread plate,even a little bigger I think. A couple months ago they were maybe the size of a silver dollar. I am curious on just how much bigger these guys are going to get!

I don't know alot about them. but I'd assume species would determine the size.
    "The significant problems we face cannot be solved at the same level of thinking we were at when we created them."
    - Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Using The Modern Coral Reef Aquarium Vol 2, I found this -
    Rhodactis cf. inchoata (small elephant ear, hairy mushroom anemone, Tonga blue mushroom) "is usually not more than 3 cm."
    Rhodactis cf. Indonsinensis (hairy mushroom anemone, Indonesian elephant ear) "maximum disc diameter 11 cm, but 5 cm on average"
    Phodactis cf. mussoides (elephant ear, metallic mushroom, leaf mushroom) "diameter usually up to 6 cm, but sometimes up to 16 cm"
    This web site http://www.wetwebmedia.com/corallim.htm says "Individual polyps 1 inch to 1 foot across."

Vickie

And if you have the Giant Hairy Mushroom (Amplexidiscus), they can get up toe 18 in diameter (or even more). From Bornemans' book.
    Nick

ok so i guess my guys still have a ways to go yet! I was looking at them last inight closing up as food fell on them.. the are almost the size of a tennis ball!! Thanks for the responses, was just another small thing i was baffling over!

All my hairy mushrooms hit about 3 inches across then they split....
    The only thing two reef keepers will agree on, is what the third reef keeper is doing wrong!

From what I've heard from some other people that have them. These suckers can get downright HUGE!!!!!!! Most people that I know, usually end up yanking them out since they practically take up ALL the space from everything else.

I kinda like mine..SO far! They both have their spots.. but are going to need more room soon. Mine have never split that i know of... hmmmmm. ???