Snails and hermit crab question

I'm trying to figure out why I'm having problems keeping snails, hermit crabs and shrimp. My tank (90 g) is 3 years old, lots of live rock, deep sand bed and 40 gallon sump. I use IO salt with RO/DI water, water tests for Nitrate, Phosphate are zero, Alkalinity is 3.6 meq/L, Calcium is a bit low at 360, and Ph is between 8.1 and 8.3. All the corals are doing well, the two fish (Desjardins Tang and sharpnose blenny) are eating and healthy and my tuxedo urchin is making its way aroud without a problem.
    On two separate occasions, I have tried to add snails (Margarita, Cerith and Astrea) and blue leg hermits but they just sit on the rocks or on the sand and don't move very much and eventually die. Poor coral banded shrimp didn't last a day. The only exception is that half of the Margaritas are moving around the glass without a problem... hmm. Until recently I've never had a problem keeping them alive.

Would anyone have ideas or suggestions?

Hmmmm. You couldn't have any metal contamination could you? Like copper? It will take out snails and other inverts pretty quick.

Have you been drip acclimating them for three hours before adding them?

Is there anything in there for them to eat?
    Gail in Nova Scotia

Two months ago one of my powerheads (on a wavemaker) got jammed, overheated and the resin cracked so some water may have come in contact with the metal in the powerhead. I did have low voltage in the tank (which may have caused the first batch to die) but I did a 20% water change and used carbon for about a month to try and get any metals out. I did acclimatise them for about two hours by adding half a cup of tank water to the bag every 15 minutes. I removed them from the bag and placed them on rocks and glass. They are eating whatever the fish are missing but I'm not feeding them anything else.

liv
    hmm..u using any chemicals ? to treat fish deseases like ich ?
    or have u used any chemicals in the past in this tank ?

there is another thread on the board at the moment... about the 250g tank.. copper gets in the silicone and can stay stuck in there.

moving.. so temporarily out of SW :b8:
    planning next tank, possibly 60x30x20 on 2x plasma.
    updated: 2011/05/30

The only chemicals I have put in the tank is Poly Ox Red Slime Remover when I had a cyano outbreak. Instructions indicate that it is safe for inverts but if that is not the case then that would explain the problem. I have never put copper in this tank so copper is not the problem but I'm thinking that Poly Ox might not be as safe as they say. I'll do another 20% water change to see if that will help them out a bit.
    Thanks, Marty

How long ago did the Resin crack? Seems as if it was fairly recent. Have you done many w/c's since the initial 20%? Is the Temp too high/fluctuating? Other parameters too would be good to see. Was the longevity effected either way by the carbon? I.e did they live longer if it removed the chems? Or adversely if it removed good things too?
    BTW, I have assorted snails and I haven't spent 3 hrs acclimatising them, maybe an hour at best, using a drip, and all are fine.
    Though I do advocate the longer acclimatisation.
    "The significant problems we face cannot be solved at the same level of thinking we were at when we created them."
    - Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

The powerhead resin cracked about two months ago and that is when the first batch of snails and crabs died. I did a 20% water change and added carbon (4 weeks) and have done two other 20% water changes since then. The temperature is always constant at 77 -78 F. I added the snails and hermits last week and approx half have died and the others don't seem to move around much. The salinity is 1.024 (checked with a glass hydrometer) I don't have a Oxygen test but I run a Berlin skimmer so I figure that it should add enough oxygen to the water.

A 20 % water change may not have been enough if there was contamination. Can you do a really big WC- like 50 % ? When I polluted my tank with zinc we did one huge change and I swear it saved it. THen I ran massive amounts of carbon - like about 6 cups at a time, and changed that every 12 hours for several days, then did another 30 % WC and ran carbon for another week. Everything has been fine since, and after the first big WC I didn't loose anything else.
    Gail in Nova Scotia

That sounds like a good plan. I will do a 50% water change and add more carbon to make sure that I get any metals out. I never figured that a little powerhead could cause so many problems. I'll let you know how it turns out.

Thanks Gail, tiffany and liv for your suggestions.

liv
    hey anytime, thats what the board is for. :

moving.. so temporarily out of SW :b8:
    planning next tank, possibly 60x30x20 on 2x plasma.
    updated: 2011/05/30