Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pistol Shrimp?

Question Pistol Shrimp?

i don't have picture yet but i found a new shrimp in my tank.. gray/tan color.. really small but has one big claw and one small claw..

in has little cave under edge of rock..

is he dangerous to my cleanr and peppermint shrimp or coral or fish?

Sounds like a pistol shrimp to me. It will get red as it matures...here's a great pc showing the different size claws.
    Seldom seen, often heard... and the results of their "shooting" known far and wide... the alpheids can be easily identified (if you can find them) by their very short eye stalks and one much larger "pistol" claw. This specialized appendage is capable of punching holes in all crustacean exoskeletons, even many shellfish! Alpheus and Synalpheus species are the notable symbionts with Shrimp Gobies.

Pistol Shrimp are the predominant crustaceans on the world's reefs... and so you are likely to run into them... they eat most all types of foods... and if kept fed will often leave other crustaceans and mollusks alone. If not they will devour them. I personally would nto keep one as there is the chance they may go on a rampage. They ususally only stalk around their cave but at night they do travel.

Can you hear his clicking at night?????
    The only thing two reef keepers will agree on, is what the third reef keeper is doing wrong!

yup yup clicking..

well i'll try to pull him out of the tank then.. since it might do damage..

Alot of people like to keep these shrimp...ask around don't kill him...
    The only thing two reef keepers will agree on, is what the third reef keeper is doing wrong!

Get a Watchman Goby to go with him.

If you get a goby, is it then safe to keep the pistol shrimp? Should you get a pair or will any two eventually pair up? This sounds like an interesting combo. I'm going to have to look into it a little more.

Vickie

I have one of these interesting guys. I've had him for over two years. He is often seen in my setup, and never bothers my two blood shrimp or the peppermint shrimp I have. I like to call him "Mr. Keep Me Awake at Night" as he does indeed like to snap his claw. I'd keep him!

If you do get a goby, do the research first. Not all species of goby pair with all species of pistol shrimp. I got mine seperate, and they paired up right away, but I made sure to get compatable species.

My goby never paired with my pistol shrimp. He decided to live with the jawfish instead- much to the jaws disgust! After 6 months of tossing the goby out of his burrow by grabbing him by the head, the jawfish finally gave up and they lived quite happily together after that.
    Gail in Nova Scotia

That sounds like something quit hilarious to watch, Mom. LOL I'll have to look into this some more. A jawfish and a goby???

Vickie

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast