Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Test kits make me paranoid

Test kits make me paranoid.

I read you will have 4 very different results with 4 different test kits. Hagen ,Red Sea, AP, Seachem, Salifert. And we are suppose to trust them with our precious reef tanks.

I am having doubts about some results I have been having lately with test kits. I am about to throw them out in the garbage.

I have two not expired kits for calcium from the same company, one reading 360ppm and the other reading 410. And we are talking about the same company here!!!

I am about to buy Salifert test kits only.

Do any of you have thoughts about this?

if salifert wasn't so expensive i would buy them right now hehe.. but i have ok success with my cheap ass test kits.. except my ammonia doesn't work on any of them..

1 of my test kits said johnnys tank had .50ppm ammonia lol..

and his test kits said zero lol..

goes to show yeah..

As for Red Sea tests throw them out and don't think twice. I purchased (when I first had the tank) their *complete kit* and the consistency of tests (ie. ph one pkg would be purple and the next time brown....always giving me weird readings) they are junk

Hagen although I've not used them I've noticed over the years that some Hagen stuff is great others lack any luster at all, I personally wouldn't invest money in any of their SW product (that's JMO) (when talking about tests anyhow, not hardware)

AP I used their nitrate/amn tests, I don't think I'll buy the amn next time round but the nitrate one is great. I think I'll go with Salifert for the amn next time.

As for Seachem I have their Reef Ca. kit and I've had to write to them 2x because of discrepancies in the tests (and the test solution) they have replaced ALL of the test solutions and I can't really complain because they have excellent customer service BUT I have to occassionally(once a mth or more) test to see if the kit solutions are still giving me good results.....next time I'm going Salifert and would have last time but they were out of stock.

Salifert IMO you can't go wrong with them, I have 0 complaints other than they are more expensive but you get what you pay for. I would have purchased nitrate test from Salifert but they didn't have stock and gladly because I purchased AP (much less) and am happy with it.

Too bad there wasnt some sorta electronic probe like they have for salinity and ph.
    Any talented DIYers out there...bet that would be a HOT item if it was on the market if available:firejump:

I hear Salifert offer a Dissolved Organic Compounds test. I wish I could get my hands on that one.

But the Salifert calcium and alkalinity tests are the ones I need to buy soon.

Do any of you have them? More comments? On Salifert or others?

Originally posted by Peluche
    I hear Salifert offer a Dissolved Organic Compounds test. I wish I could get my hands on that one.

But the Salifert calcium and alkalinity tests are the ones I need to buy soon.

Do any of you have them? More comments? On Salifert or others?
    Have you tried login on to their website and finding a Cda distributor for that test? or maybe submit a customer service reply to that nature.

I think that Salifert is pretty much the top of the line (IMO) for SW tests and when you're talking about forking out $20-$40+ dollars per test then buy something that you know has a good name. I spent $149.99 on that Red Sea complete test kit and I ended up tossing it and buy ALL new ones. I might as well have burned that money!

Finding Salifert test kits in Canada is not a problem.

Finding the Dissolved Organic Compounds test in Canada is something else.

Aquaria Canada, just to name this one, has Salifert test kits.

But nowhere in Canada can I find the dissolved organics test.

I know that lots of places carry Salifert what I was trying to suggest is that you contact them and ask them to give you where/who this *specific test*can be purchased from.

If you can't get good results try going to RC and asking Habib (he's their rep)

Thanks Cake Fan.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast