Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: yellow wrasse

yellow wrasse

is it reef safe

I think the best answer is "some what", or "with caution". As far as I'm aware, they won't touch corals, but they will go after small feather dusters, pods, worms, etc. I would recommend that you not keep one, unless you have a refugium, or a very large tank.

I had one before the hurricane wipeout. Zookeeper is right. They don't bother corals. Didn't bother my clams either. They are serious sandbed pickers though and will wipeout a new sandbed pretty quickly. Best in a mature tank with a refugium.
    Susan

Senior Member tang_man_montreal's Avatar
    Actually, if you have clams, they are great to have as they are avid eaters of clam pests known as pyramilled (sp?) snails that kill clams.

So in a way, they are good to have, and end up being quite beautiful with adult colors.
    I am Homer of BORG... Prepare to be..OOOO!! DONUT!!!!!!

Unlike a mandarin that eats only live bugs, a tellow wrasse will readily accept food you feed the fish. I agree that they won't touch any corals, yet I also want to add that I have never seen, nor heard that they will go after any FDusters or worms. I agree with Vince that they are one of the good cleanup fish to have for pests such as the Pyramellid snails. They are an excellant reef safe addition to a tank.

thanks for the info guys

We've been considering one for my son's tank but I've read the same problems. Liveaquaria lists the Yellow Wrasse in their 'fish-only' wrasse section. There comments are:

It will eat fireworms and pyramidellid snails, protecting corals and clams. In addition, it may eat feather dusters, wild shrimp, tubeworms, and flatworms. It may also eat parasites off of tank mates.
    Nick

YUP on the "wipe out the sandbed" part! But mine also wiped out them damn flatworms...so now, gonna have to look into a refugium.

Gotta love the bright yellow colour and the fact that they swim everywhere
    thanks.
    thien

I've got one in my tank with crabs, snails, green star polyps and a purple tipped coral - no problem at all.

I've wanted one but one of my concerns is that it would eat my fanworms (fdusters). I'd hate to see my pretty fans disappear, would they be considered *small* dusters? Anyone have a friendly yellow they'd like to ship to me

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast