Too much current for fish

I finally put fish in my new setup. I added two juvenille Percs.

Trouble is. . . I may have too much flow. I am running 1,000 GPH through a SCWD on a closed loop in the front of the tank, and about 1,400 GPH though the sump with a set of Deep Water Reef Rats in the back.

One perc found a quiet space and stayed there. The other perc is fairly freaked out. It likes to hang out at the top. My overflow has big teeth. The fish has visited my sump 6 times in one hour. Should I try to screen the overflow, or should I take them back to thier quiet home in the store?

Any opinions?

Bill

Hi Bill,

Perhaps the DW Rats should be at 1400 gph on a closed loop and the sump at 1000 gph... there really is little need to run that much water through the sump at that speed...

Depending on where the closed loop intake is, perhaps this may help matters.... if the intake is the overflow then it's more difficult...

Alternately you can buy plastic rain-gutter guard at Rona or Reno or HD and affix a couple of strips to the inner surface of those overflow teeth... clowns won't fit through there after that...

Fish like current... they'll get used to it... just try to cut down on the flow going back to the sump.

Worst case scenario use the sump as the tank and vice-versa... at least you know the clowns won't end up in the tank... in one piece... :
    It's not junk, it's un-assembled DIY!

Van,

I'll see how the smart one does over night. Hopefully he will adapt to the current. If he can't get used to it I'll take them both back.

The stupid one is sleeping in the sump. He goes over even with the return pump throttled back. I'll try the gutter guard and see if that helps. However, experience tells me it is hard to fix stupid.

Thanks,

Bill

Maybe he/she/it just likes the thrill of the ride to the sump :=)

If you like the fish otherwise, perhaps you need to let some more time pass? Have the fish grown up mainly in a low flow tank setting? If so, they will likely need to learn how to handle the flow, etc. Maybe things will get better if you give it a few more days, with the gutter guard to stop the joy riding.
    Nick

Try to keep the most vigorous current in to top 1/3 of the water column and the fish that do not like it that strong will stay out of its path. It is great to have that much current in the tank but offer some place where it is a little calmer
    Rob

As a rule, you can never have too much current... well,... it depends on your setup. However, from my experience, most fish actually like current and water movement. They usually like to paly in it. Don't kid yourself either as fish know how to find a calm spot if they want it. They will usually find someplace in the rocks if they want calm water a bit. If I were you though, I would place a screen or some similar type of protective covering over the return pump intake as insurance. Also, the spaces on your overflow teeth should be small enough so that nothing in your tank can get through.

I put a bunch of screen around my pumps, but I am afraid Darwin has had his way with the dumb one. The smart one has found a quiet spot and settled in. I'll get some good screening on the overflow before I add any more fish.

The SPS are going to love this tank.

Bill,

How's that radical overflow design working out for you? When I saw it at your place it looked real neat but there wasn't a lot of flow happening like now...

Did your Rats with the modified travel work out as anticipated?

Looking forward to some pics so we can follow the evolution of that "Mega-Flow SPS Tank"...

Like I mentionned previously, you may want to consider slowing down the flow to the sump so that the biological processes in there can handle the water volume running through it... that may run better on the Squid...

As for the closed loop, the DW Rats are right at home on a high volume circuit such as that...

After dicussions with ABahn yesterday on closed loops and overflows, I'll be looking at some radical new ways of integrating a closed loop intake into the face of an overflow chamber... the pump that I have to feed will be a Sequence StingRay @ 4500 gph feeding 4 Rats on a 220... better to get this design settled before the tank has the water in it!

Basically many of us are coming to the conclusion that high flow rates through the sump are unnecessary with the resultant overflow noise associated with it.

Instead I'm becoming more convinced that a high volume closed loop and moderate volume sump flow is much more beneficial to the tank environment...

ReefVan,

The modified ReefRats are perfect. They make a beautiful random flow with 1400 gph+. The front inlets are running off my new Mak 4 that replaced the old Mag 9.5. My guess is that I am putting 1100 gph though the SCWD that directs flow down from the front corners of my tank.

The overflow is working great. I tested it up to about 2,000 gph.

I am not getting any noise at all from the high flow rate, but then again my sump water level is only about 1 foot below the tank water level. Almost no drop for the overflows and almost no head for the pumps.

I attached a link to the drawing so everybody can see the design. It is pretty radical, but it works very well. I only had to give up 2" of tank space for an overflow that can handle up to 2,000 gph. I'd recomend it to anybody.

http://aquariacanada.com/PhotoPost/s...sort=1&cat=500

I'll probably leave the flow through the sump as it is for now. I've been plumbing for weeks.

My next priority is to have my 55 gal fuge flow back directly into the tank without making bubbles. The 55 gal sits on a shelf 4 feet above the tank. I am running about 500 gph into it.

I really want to get the zooplankton straight into the tank.

The poor fish is going back to Steve. Even the smart one is struggling with the flow.

Maybe the extra flow will keep a tang happy. This is going to be a "swim or die" tank.

I'll post some pictures when I get my digital camera back. This is evolving into one ridiculous set up:biggrinbo

An awesome set-up Bill... :thumb: Looking forward to those pics...