Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: brain help

brain help

hey all, i have a new brain in my tank i've had since wed. I don't think it's doing to well, and I just saw it kind of shrivel up (all these white spikes seem to be going through it) and all the mouthes opened and spewed out some reddish filmy stuff... this probably isn't a good sign is it ? (guessing this isn't a natural occurence) ... I also haven't seen it's tentwcles or have been able to feed it yet... am I expecting too much after being in the tank for just 4 days ?
    ======================
    sold the 77gallon back in 2005, looking to setup a nano

Do you know what type of brain it is? Is it open brain or closed brain? Did you buy it at a store? Did it looked puffed up there? What kind of light do you have? Where is it in your tank? All these questions will give us a better idea of what is going on.

Vickie

I purchased it mail order wed, was in pretty rough shape when it arrived, some white film in the bag... water params are fine, salanity is a litle high at ~1.027... other corals are doing well. I'm running 220w VHO. It's an open brain. think that covers everything.... thanks for any help !
    ======================

A couple more questions to add to the pool: What steps did you take to aclimatize it? Is it positioned low or high in the tank?
    Nick

it's in the sand at the bottom of the tank, and i added a cup every 10mins till bag was full, dumped 1/2 water and did same thing till it was full again (same as always)...
    ======================

I'm not an expert at brains. We just bought one and I have been doing some research. Stress (since it was in poor shape when received) could have caused it to expell it's zooxanthellae (possibly the reddish stuff you noted). If that's the case, there isn't much hope. Here is a good article that I found on how to care for open brains. It may help you http://www.wetwebmedia.com/trachyreproart.htm

Hopefully someone else will be of more help than me.

Vickie

I've read that brain's will spit out excess zooxanthellae and that this may be a sign a getting use to the new tank and environment... I hope this is the case. Anyone else have any experience with brain corals ?
    ======================

It should be OK i think. I've had a closed brain coral in my tank for more than a year and is doing great. It did the same thing as yours expelling the reddist stringy stuff in the first few weeks when i got it. I think yours is just getting used to the new tank.
    90G bb mixed reef set up in April 2005. I had 40g mixed reef for one year before that

You guys are a bit off track. I will bet the white spikes showing through are most probably it's skeleton. The flesh on open brains is fragile and if the brain is rubbed enough up against anything ( rock, sand, plastic bag during shipping, etc...) it will erode the skin enough for the skeleton to break through. When this happens, it can go 2 ways. If the coral as a whole is in great health and you know how to take care of it and get it feeding, then there is a good chance for recovery. However, if the coral is pretty much stressed out and weak, then the skin erosion will usually escalate and eventually the whole thing will die.
    You have to try and get it to feed.
    Most brains will put out their tentacles during the light hours if it has been trained to, is happy AND hungry. Otherwise, they usually feed during the night when all is dark. This is probably why you haven't been able to feed it yet, OR seen it's tentacles. As for the reddish stringy stuff coming out of it, that is simply the coral pooping. When they do this, they shrivel up and spew out their waste in long stringy strands that are a darkish red/brown. The reason they shrink up is basically for the same reason you'd not like to get all dirty when pooping :eek4: :moon:
    What color is it and what is the shape? This will enable us to help you a bit more. The different colors mean they have different needs.
    Hope this helps you a bit.

It is a red open brain.. it seems a bit more puffed up tonight after the lights have been of for a few hours. I still haven't seen any tentacles and I have tried feding it both frozen mysis and freshly frozen seafood mixed with some cyclop-eez.

usually there aren't too many skeletal spikes in the flesh however today when it shrivelled up and "pooped" there were tons... it does look a little more swollen now.
    ======================

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast