Thread: refugium flow?

refugium flow?

How much flow should I run through my fuge? Caulerpa, and a little live rock in there. Thanks

Keep it very low. I feed mine with a Maxijet 900 powerhead. That's it.
    Susan

Mine just has a maxijet 400. But it is only about 3 gallons. Lots of pods and worms now though!!
    Gail in Nova Scotia

I figure mine is about 10g maybe. Low flow is definitely the way to go though.
    Susan

i have read that the refuge flow through rate should be its total water volume per hour.
    Rob

I have had mine running inline with my system at about 1800 GPH....macro and mangorves all grow great, skimmer hardly has to work, pods and critters are packed in there. I know it's against the grain of how most feel but after 1.5 years I can see me switching it over....I've attached a pic...
    The only thing two reef keepers will agree on, is what the third reef keeper is doing wrong!

Your 'fuge area is in-between the two baffles on the right side? I've been interested in what happens to the flow in that type of situation. I would think that most of the flow would go across the top layers. The lower layers would then get much reduced flow, based on flow induced by the friction/turbulance of the top layer flow. If so, the flow 'in' the 'fuge would not be 1800 GPH. That certainly seems to be what is happening with my HOB 'fuge - the 100 GPH (in a 2G fuge) seems to be producing quite low flow within the baffled area.

Anyone with a strong sense of fluid mechaniics, etc. care to comment on this?
    Nick

That is exactly what happens....I have alot more Live rock in there now so the lower 3/4 is not flowing near as fast as the top layer. Most of the water floows right across the top of the fuge. The benefits to this are that there is enough water exchange that cyano and other "dead spot" problems don't exist. Also as you can see in the photo, the macro and mangorves all thrive. With alot of live rock and small pieces, the pods and critters also thrive. If you did this method however with no live rock in the fuge, I think too much would just get washed out.

The main purpose for my fuge is to grow out pods and critters which this set up is ideal for. I'll continue with this method as it has worked for a long time now.

Take notice that I have added a row of 1/4 inch holes in the baffles about an inch down from the top. I have these on both sides of the fuge. This causes greater water movement down lower than the top layer in the fuge....if that makes sense.
    The only thing two reef keepers will agree on, is what the third reef keeper is doing wrong!