Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

feeding a Entacmaea quadricolor

i just got a Entacmaea quadricolor the other day. i have to wait for the clows to come in, which may be a week or so? how do i go about feeding it myself? this is my first anemone, sorry it the question sounds stupid.

was that the big one that was @ trop pet?
    nice if it is...what clowns are u getting?

I fed my first anemone krill. It grew and split and split and split and I ended up with 6 at one point. Krill seems to bring out their colours well too.
    Susan

do you put it in a droper and squirt it at it? how do you actually get it to take the food?

hey another newfie!!! wicked!! it was a smaller bubble tip $40... at TMP. i was going to pick up a pair of tank raised clowns and more rock. he was supposed to get a shipment today.

I used to buy the flat frozen packs of krill. They are huge shrimp critters. Just chop one to size and use tongs or something to actually feed it to the anemone.

Be careful what you wish for. I'd place the anemone in a place where it can be removed if necessary. Mine caused no end of trouble by stinging corals. I had a heck of a time getting most of them out and I still have 3 in there.
    Susan

I usually just place a small piece of partially thawed Mysis on the tentacles with my hand.

Although I only have had my present anemone, I have it from good sources that getting tank raised clowns or for example false percs, it will always be a hit or miss for them to host the anemone. If however, you get a pair of wild clowns, then they have the instinct still in them to host the anemone and will almost be guaranteed to happen.

I feed my anemonies silversides or raw shrimp. I find that sand dwelling anemonies like carpets will eat almost anything, but rock dwelling anemonies like the Entacmea Quadricolor or bubble tip prefer fish. I have given my bubble tips shrimp and they seem to shrivel up for a few days whereas with silversides, they stay open after being fed.
    E. Quadricolors are the natural host to mainly maroon clowns, but most clowns without the choice of preferred anemonie will adopt it- it doesn't always happen, though- they may just chose a soft coral or in the case of Abahn, a pectinia coral!!. And as toutouche said your chances of getting clowns to live in the anemonie go down even further with tank raised clowns.
    Matt.

Old system torn down to make a playroom.. planning a 62x42x28 high

hummm....maybe i will skip the tank raised and try a wild caught. thanks for the info guys.

reefmutt.....silver sides....do you mean the silver/grey larger shimp?

Atlantic. Tropical and Marine Pets sells krill. They are good sized krill and my anemones gladly take it. However, salmon, shrimp, squid and scallops are good too - this is what I mostly feed.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast