Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Look Down Jacks?

I saw some fish in a LFS that were called "Look Down Jacks"...they were the weirdest looking fish I have ever seen. I can't really explain how they looked except that they were silver and extremely reflective. I found some info on them online but now I can't find it again and doing a search doesn't come up with anything but one bad pic with no info.

Does anyone know the proper name for these fish? I want to learn more about them and see if I can get some.

Thanks
    James...

"Knowing is half the battle!" ~ G.I. JOE

liv
    does it look like these ?

the latin name is : Selene Vomer

see link below: http://www.photovault.com/Link/Anima...kdownFish.html

and this one:

http://www.marinedepotlive.com/lodovo.html

moving.. so temporarily out of SW :b8:
    planning next tank, possibly 60x30x20 on 2x plasma.
    updated: 2011/05/30

they get very big! seen some in the 700g tank at the RAINFOREST cafe in NIAGRA FALLS. they looked cramped in there. they are cool looking though.

they grow to 20"-30" long 12-19" tall...

dam...

there huge!!

Yep that's them! It sucks that they get so big...would have been cool to have some. They're much cooler looking in person tho.

Thanks for the info liv.
    James...

There is another type of Jack that is also reflective and in addition they have yellow stripes running through them. Kinda like a bumblebee look. They stay smaller too and I have seen them in the LFS's around here. I'll find out the name of them this evening.

Thanks Toutouche...I was really down about the other type getting so big. I tend to go crazy when it comes to setting up tanks, but a school of 20"+ fish need a bigger tank than I can afford!
    I hope the type you saw will work!
    James...

Pilotfish
    (Gnathanodon speciosus)
    Quick Stats
    Minimum Tank Size: 300 gallons
    Care Level: Expert Only
    Tank Conditions: 72-78F; sg 1.020-1.025; pH 8.1-8.4; dKH 8-12
    Temperament: Peaceful
    Max. Size In Aquarium: Up to 3'
    Reef Compatible: No
    Diet: Carnivore
    Compatibility: View Chart
    Origin: Indo-Pacific
    Family: Carangidae

The Pilotfish, also known as the Golden Trevally or Golden Jack, is shimmering metallic-gold with black vertical bands across the body.

It requires a 300 gallon or larger aquarium because it grows rapidly. It is a schooling fish and prefers other Pilofish as tank mates. It will eat smaller fish.

The Pilotfish diet should consist of prepared meaty foods for carnivores, and live fish such as shrimp, scallops, and marine flesh.

While it says up to 3' in an aquarium, I wonder about that because at the bottom of the page where I got this info, it says a large is up to 4".

Cool...again it needs a tank that's a little bigger than I had planned!

The link that liv posted for Marine Depot says that they need "tank of at least 100 gallons with plenty of places to swim." That doesn't sound nearly big enough if these fish are getting over 20" and prefer to school...
    I guess I'll just have to find a way to set up a 1000g tank then!! ....someday!
    James...

I went to the National Aquarium in Baltimore and saw those look downs in the huge circular tank. They like to school and they are ALWAYS swimming in the upper 1/3 of the water column. If I haven't mentioned it enough, they are CONSTANTLY moving, swimming in one direction, rounding the tank lap after lap after lap.

I wouldn't recommend keeping these fish in a home aquarium.
    If the authors of "Finding Nemo" knew anything about Clownfishes, Marlin would turn into a female and Nemo would become her new husband.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast