Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Anemone Water Flow

If water flow is too strong will an anemone move out of the way ? I placed a pink tip anemone in my tank yesterday and he immediately crawled to hang upside down under a rock directly in front of a powerhead ?!? Do they just like tons of water flow or what ? If he is geting too much flow he will move correct ?
    ======================
    sold the 77gallon back in 2005, looking to setup a nano

what ya got is a CONDYLACTIS [not sure of the spelling] Clowns in most case will not host in these[don't know why?] and I heard that these are generally a pest. In cases of most Anenomes they will find were they like or die trying. Be aware that new tanks are not a good choice for any Anenome and you must really consider the lighting needs of each type. They can be very picky and if they die they could wipe out a tank with pollution. be very watchful.

Johnny is totally right, they are a pest! I have a Condy & Maroon clown in my tank: my Maroon clown LOVES it..too much! I've heard this is rare though, and I believe it! I don't think the anemome enjoyed being mauled by my clown, it'd sting the fish (the fish would jerk & startle, but then go right back to it & try to settle in.) I've had to separate the two.
    Hmm this story doesn't help your flow problem does it?! Bottom line is--From what I've seen the anemome will tell you from how it looks & behaves if its happy or not.
    I've noticed that raising kids & fish are similar: Patience & dedication really pays off!

ok, well as long as it's pretty obvious if it starts to go bad...
    ======================

Good indicators of health are if it de-flates & goes limp alot... like more then twice a day, or start changing colours--mine went limp like spaghetti, deflated to the size of a quarter and became an awful grey colour when it was fed up with my clown. Once it was alone, it inflated up and went pink again!
    I've noticed that raising kids & fish are similar: Patience & dedication really pays off!

cool, i'll post a pic if i am ever able to leave work and you can let me know if you think he's in good shape...
    ======================

I got home tonight and both my finger leather didnt have it's polyps out and my hammer coral looked really shriveled up and closed... could this be because of the anemone ? the only other thing i did in the tank yesterday was move the corals within about 6 inches of each other... the only other thing i can think of is that this would be too close... should i ditch the anemone ASAP ?
    ======================

I would give the corals a bit more distance as the hammer has sweepers. Big thing is not to move corals much at all as they have to readjust each and every time. If the Condy is not touching them then don't worry.

ok, thanks... the only other reason i could think of that the hammer is having a hard time is that he has less current now cause he was blowing around a bit.. how can you tell if you are giving a hammer too much or not enough flow ?
    ======================

they like to gently sway in the flow and not be hammered with current. They also will close up periodicaly for no reason. Both leathers and LPS do this on occasions. leathers can shed skin and will close up and look crappy for a few days.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast