Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
    Senior Member tang_man_montreal's Avatar

L-Shaped Tank Logistics?

Hey guys,

I have an opportunity that may present itself within the next 2 days to get a new tank. I won't go into the specifics of this opportunity as of yet, however both my wife and I are happy with what may materialize.

As such, a new tank came into question. I'm looking into the possibility of building a custom L-shaped thank that will be built into a corner wall. I have yet to verify specific dimensions, however I may be looking at the following:

60" lengths along both sides of the L, 18" depth, 24" height
    for 191 gallons.

or

48" lengths along both sides of the L, 18" depth, 24" height.
    or 148 gallons.

I'm having problems with the logistics of this endeavor. Specifically, Overflows and closed loops as flow may be a concern. (I was thinking 3 ReefRats, one at each end, and one at the "apex" of the L pointing from the front corner).

The area behind and below the tank would be for equipment and such.

If this idea turns out to be toublesome, I may look into a 200gallon room divding tank on the main floor instead.
    I am Homer of BORG... Prepare to be..OOOO!! DONUT!!!!!!

Cool TANG

I'd be more worried about wether its glass or acrylic. I was looking into that very same idea and glass was not a good idea by many many people and by a lot of tank builders that chimed in at RC. something about hi rate of failure on the seems because of the lack of 1 piece bottoms and pressures and stuff like that. Acrylic yes but glass I would be very wary on how you approach this[ coming from a guy building his own 500g! now thats scary as hell]

Hmmm...
    I hear ya there, however a 60" x 60" square piece of glass shouldn't be that hard to come by, and cut into an L shape. We're not talking about a significantly large tank....

I hope it works for you. I think an L-shaped tank is very nice looking. One leg for lower light corals and one leg for the high light corals, not to mention plenty of room for a few tang.

Keep us posted.

Vickie

Cool Vince

if you can get it cut. Have you been talking to a tank builder yet? Its just some stuff about the seems as well. could work but I remember reading a bunch of talk about this very thing and remember reading that with glass they seem to have seem failure. I'll see If I can dig up the thread. I like the room divider myself as you don't have that honking silicone seem right dead center.with Acyrlic the seem is flawless so not a problem.

I don't think I'd have the cash for Acrylic.... and then there's the issue of easy scratches...

Yes let us know what you end up doing. This sounds very interesting

the problem with it is that when you cut it in the "L" shape the glass is weak at the inside angle...and it want's to continue breaking along so it don't take much pressure along the L for it to crack.
    Of course this is my opinion, it's not scientific , just going by what i've had experience with as i've worked with glass for 5 years, not making aquariums tho so I could be wrong =)

Tic
    Any darn fool can make something complex; it takes a genius to make something simple

I just spoke to a tank mfr in montreal who will be submitting a quote to me by tomorrow. He's already got the experience of having built 3 L-shaped tanks in the past.

As tictoc mentioned, the weak area is the inner angle. Another interesting point, is that the tank builder would pre-cut all the glass, and assemble it at the customer's location since transporting such a tank would be an issue.
    Assembly (gluing of the glass panes) would take approximately 2 hours, with 2 follow up visits of 4-5hours for clean-up.

I guess I'll know by tomorrow if this project will materialize or not.

Cool

any of those tanks bin up for more than 5 years?
    acrylic while being easier to scratch can be done. There are all the specialized pads now and TENECORE makes a wicked tank.
    Most scratches can be buffed out right in the tank water from what I remember? but if going with the room divider go glass[STARPHIRE!]

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast