Lighting Kelvin and Growth..

Hey guys and gals..

I was just wondering something ..

most of us run 10k + Halides due to the fact of them bringing out the Vibrant colors in the corals..

But, As i think we all know its the 65k bulbs that Promote the growth in corals.. BUT no one likes the yellowish look in the tank..

So what I'm wondering is this.. Would there be any Benefit to this..

Running 10k Halides and our Actinic like we run now.. But have also run say acouple of VHO 65ks.. and have them on a timer as most of use only actually see our tanks for like 4 of the 8 hours they are on.. So could we not have the Actinic on a timer so that the 65ks are on when we are not around.. promoting growth.. but have the timers set so when we are home the 65ks are off.. and the actinic are on.. Giving use the look that we like.. but at the same time getting the growth that we are missing when we are not home? ?

Would this be something that would benefit? or would it be a waste??

thanks
    Michael.

Cool growth

In all honesty the growth factor of 10k and up is quite sufficient. No need really to have super growth unless your running a farm Another thing is, your corals get use to your lighting k rating and color up to that rating and if you throw on a ugly 65k for a few hours a day I feel your not getting the full potential of your better lighting. Kinda like messing around with a good suntan.It might inhibit the coral from coloring up . Just guessing but why wast more hydro on possibly just a bit better growth in the brown range. I ran IWASAKIs and 13k and could not tell the difference in growth really. All IMO Mike

I used to run 4x 250 w Iwasaki on my tank and when I changed over to 3x400 w Ushio blue I saw no significant difference in growth rates.....personally I don't believe k rating plays a real role in growth rates. Good, stable calcium, ph and alkalinity levels is what REALLY promotes growth. Color development? Now that's a different story!
    Matt.

Old system torn down to make a playroom.. planning a 62x42x28 high

Well lots of disscusion has been done on forums about this and now there tring to find out how much Par does a coral need for good growth we know that the higher par means exceptional growth(so they say).But what are the nessary levels needed since there are several factors that could change par levels such as water quality ect.
    Im using 250 w 20K DE`s and growth is really good so I start to wonder about all this High Par stuff when 20k bulbs are supposed to have a much lower par reading..
    HTH

ReefSalt

Before you buy anything......Read and Research .

Setup:
    265 gl SPS Reef. AquaScape Marco Rock 150lbs ( Upgrading to a 300gl Deep Dimension)
    Ecotech Radion Pro x 4 & Ecotech ReefLink
    Decante 75g
    Pompe de Remonte PCX55
    Reef Octopus SRO-5000SSS
    Reacteur Sulphur H&S Pour Nitrate
    2x Phosban 550

Frag Tank:
    Perfect0 45 cube sur le system central
    Totoka LR 50lb
    Radion Gen2
    Vortech MP10W

It makes me start to think of the MHZ Race for PC`s,
    HTH

ReefSalt

Before you buy anything......Read and Research .

Setup:
    265 gl SPS Reef. AquaScape Marco Rock 150lbs ( Upgrading to a 300gl Deep Dimension)
    Ecotech Radion Pro x 4 & Ecotech ReefLink
    Decante 75g
    Pompe de Remonte PCX55
    Reef Octopus SRO-5000SSS
    Reacteur Sulphur H&S Pour Nitrate
    2x Phosban 550

Frag Tank:
    Perfect0 45 cube sur le system central
    Totoka LR 50lb
    Radion Gen2
    Vortech MP10W

Toooloud,
    Another thing worth noting is that it's actually not ALL 6500K bulbs that are supposed to do this. People often mistakenyl group them all in the same basket. In reality, this idea all started with the Iwasaki 250w 6500K bulbs. The reason for this is that this particular bulb is not a Metal Halide bulb at all, but rather a mercury Vapor bulb. No other bulb used for aquariums is the same as this one.., not even another iwasaki in either a different wattage OR spectrum. It is this bulb that gets corals to grow so fast, with the tradeoff being that they tend to be either on the plain brown or green side.