Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Update on Phosban use

I have been using Phosban for almost two weeks and thought the results might interest some of you.

Well...almost all green algaes have either turned white, or have vanished. No corals, including softies, LPS, SPS or clam have suffered any bad effects.

Bubble algaes are still there. Thus far, the Phospban has had no impact on bubble algae.

mmm might be worth a try on my temporary holding tank as I have hair algea galore. I have no skimmer, small refugium plumbed in and of course my VHO setup is giving me issues that I just can't seem to resolve. Hence the hair algea. Are you running it thru a canister?

I am running it through an Aquaclear 200 power filter.

I rinsed the stuff before using it, even though the label says not to do that. I am positively certain my tank would have turned dark brown if I had not rinsed it.

ive been using it and i have seen a decrease in green algae and red slime... just a note

no need to rinse. I dont.

You will just exhaust the media. I'd try to do it in RO water at the least.

So far I've seen no real diminishment in my algea, after one week......I only used 300 gallons worth of phosban on about a 400-450 gal system so, maybe I'm not a great example. I'm going to run it for another week and then change it out for another 300 gallons worth. I did not rinse it and saw no yellowing at all.
    Matt.

Old system torn down to make a playroom.. planning a 62x42x28 high

anyone ever try Phosguard? i was wondering how they would compare.
    Albert
    My Photos

I've used phosquard- it works. It is dangerous to leather corals, though. I wouldn't use it in a tank with any mushroom leather corals- Sarcophyton. It will make them close up for monthes and often they never recover. I don't think it harms much else, but.....................I don't think I would use it in a reef at all.
    Seachem's phosguard is aluminum based as opposed to the phosban and rowaphos which are iron based resins.
    Matt.

Old system torn down to make a playroom.. planning a 62x42x28 high

You're right RM,

I'm on my second charge. 2months now, and it is better. Nothing amazing though. But, some people say that you need to be patient and often going thru 2-3 charges before you start to choke algae. I guess I 'll try it until I get fed up with it.

When I had first setup my tank way back when..., it was a FOWLR. One of my 1st corals I had added once the "reefbug" bit ( and I caught it from ReefMutt..., ever since, my bank account has been smaller...., thanks ReefMutt), was a Sarc and at the time I was using the Phosguard ( my naive days), it closed up within the 1st day and took a heck of a longtime to recover. I didn't realize at the time that it was the Phosguard causing this since the guy who setup my tank said it was very good stuff. I know better now!!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast