Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Will eggcrate stop jumpers?

I've heard it will but isn't there still room in this for say a firefish to get out? If you have any recommendations (I'm trying to stay away from keeping the glass on top) how to stop them please post any suggestions.

Cool cake

To a certain degree, I've never had any jumpers ever. Normally they'll jump if stressed chased by another agressive fish. DO NOT use glass tops. There a nono for many reasons.

Senior Member tang_man_montreal's Avatar
    For the most part, yes. However I have heard a report here and there of a wrasse still jumping through the eggcrate.
    It will definately help though, that's for sure.
    I am Homer of BORG... Prepare to be..OOOO!! DONUT!!!!!!

I'm going to try. No the fish wasn't stressed just silly. On Sunday I came downstairs and I see this thing on the floor & think what's that? I go over and there he is .... I held him by his tail and wiggled him in the water after a little while he came to but sat on the bottom for the most part.

Monday he was doing great but had a mark on his side. Last night he wasn't looking good, I left him. This morning he's gone I know the worms and stuff finished him off.

He was really sweet but I don't want to lose another one the same way. I'll try the eggcrate.

Senior Member tang_man_montreal's Avatar
    What kind of fish was he?
    A new arrival?
    I am Homer of BORG... Prepare to be..OOOO!! DONUT!!!!!!

He was the little red / white guys I got him a few weeks ago. He got along very well with the other guys, I'm sad to see him go.

I'm going to look for another one this week I hope the other one will be nice and passive as well.

I had a jumper a couple of months ago. A midas blenny, the mushrrom rock he always hid in was near the top so i think he just miscalculated one day and jumped. I began to use egg crate but one downside to eggcrate is that my lights weren't as bright.

That is a little bit of a downside but it'll have to be liveable for me if I plan on getting another one. Sorry to hear about yours.

depends what type of canopy design you have but you could just put the eggcrate in the open back part. The front should have doors. open type with hanging lights are a whole different ballgame. I would never useit on the top as with the $$$$$ spent on lights I'd hate to lose any intencity.

My husband's picking some up today and after I see if there is a huge difference I may change my mind about getting another one but then that limits my fish wants drastically.

I have a 72gal with a really docile perc and a lawnmover blenny (only those 2 fish currently) . I've had a small school of green chromis and they were fine for a while then started getting too aggressive for the clown, so they found another home.

I saw a pretty yellow tang recently but he seemed to be bullying everything in the tank so they are out.

Some wrasses eat dusters and most are labelled jumpers (hence my problem remains) .

Can't have anything not reef safe. I could always go with little gobies but they are little and as much as I want one/two they aren't really visible (for the kids) &/or eyecatchers.

Any suggestions on a fish that suits my needs/wants?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast