Waste from SPS.....

Alright guys..

im looking to start a SPS Nano.. Its going to be just sps frags.. looking to grow some of the frags i have out..

they will be in a 15G tank.. with lighting as follows..

1 x 175 watt 10k and 2 x 15 watt actincs..

So what im looking to see is .. How much waste do SPS corals release.. would i need to have rock in the tank or could i just set it up with Eggcrate shelves and decent water flow?

Very little waste...in my small frag tank I just keep 5 fist size pieces...and a cheap skimmer. THe skimmer hardly pulls anything over a week.
    The only thing two reef keepers will agree on, is what the third reef keeper is doing wrong!

well i was not going to run any skimmer

I was going to go with a 15 Gallon and run a Maxijet 1200.. in it..

Or..

i was going to drill it out.. and run a 10 gallon sump with the heater and carbon in it.. and run a Rio2500 as the return.

That'll work...if you are going to run a maxi...why not just get a cheap seaclone...if it's only SPS it's not needed...
    The only thing two reef keepers will agree on, is what the third reef keeper is doing wrong!

What about plumbing it into your main system?

Yea i was going to.. But.. Just wanted to keep it all seperate.. just incase.

NANO CUBE

HI Toooloud ,
    I am thinking of doing the same thing ,but with a 12 gallon nano cube ,comes with a mini wet-dry filter !!!
    I'm going to run a 150 watt giesemann nova HQI with the 13k megachrome bulb and not use a skimmer ( oops ! did I say NO skimmer ) he,he,he,.
    Although SPS certainly release waste as they are zooplankton eating corals ,it would depend on what you feed them .
    I'm not going to feed these corals as this would require a skimmer for sure ,but rely on photosynthesis mainly (strong lighting ) to do nature's (translocation ) of sugars ,carbohydrates,lipids ,ect.via zooxanthellea
    for nuorishment to the coral animal.
    This method I believe along with a regular water changes should do the trick.
    Oh, and I almost forgot, I will put about 18lbs. of live rock in for better stability ( nitrification/denitrification ) .
    What do you think ? Cheers-reef expert

For small tanks like this, I think the more important issues here are evaporation rate and heat dissipation. If you can get these two things taken care of, filtration is no big deal since you can do a good percentage water change rather easily.
    If the authors of "Finding Nemo" knew anything about Clownfishes, Marlin would turn into a female and Nemo would become her new husband.