Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: feather duster

feather duster

I have a large purplish and white duster, and when I looked at him this morning he had 2 crowns (is that what they are called?) coming out of his tube. Hes been in there for well over 2 months and only had one crown? Now theres 2. And to boot, it looks like hes trying to slither out of his tube!! He crawls out almost and inch and then back in. I read up a bit on this behaviour and I checked my water as it said.. everything in the tank is perfect, nothing has changed since I got him. (I check the water atleast once a week) He has been in the same place since the beginning also.
    Any advice would be great! would like to know if I should be worrying or not. Theres SOOO much information online, but its judging whats right and whats wrong in the end that gets tough!
    Thank Goodness for AC! (and of course all its people!!)

IMO, it is simply growing. A long as it doesn't come out all the way and saty out it should be good. o you feed any Phytoplankton to your tank? This is what they eat. The 2 crowns is probably to be able to feed itself enough if it is growing.

Ok well looks like I have a worm and tube left. The feathers *crown* are on the other side of the tank...

I've had mine do this. Every once in a while, they seem to "shed" their crown and grow a new one back. Leave it alone and give it a couple of weeks.

Thank you. I can see thw worm is still moving inside there. Guess theres not much to do now put wait. Is there a reason as to why they do this? Theres a little one in there that has been in there for a year now and he has never done this.

Uh.., oh!! This is NOT a good sign. They will do this as a last resort usually. What happens is that the worm uses that feather crown to catch food and as the worm grows, as with everything else living, it needs more nutrition and energy to go with the bigger size. Often in aquariums FDusters will starve because many people don't realize that they actually only eat phytoplankton. When they feel they aren't getting enough food, eventually they go into a kind of rationing mode to conserve their energy. One of the things they do is pop their top because it takes lots of energy to keep it groomed and in good shape. Theoretically they want to grow a new one that will be smaller, but the problem with this is that it also takes much energy to produce a whole new one. Top that off with the fact that they are already starving and since they don't have the crown to catch anymore food for quite awhile, they will have to start to live off of energy they have stored. In reality, they don't have all that much energy stored or else they wouldn't be popping their tops in the first place. Usually the reserve gives out way before the new crown is sufficiently formed or big enough to supply all the nourishment they need and they end up dyeing.

ohh that doesn't sound good. I am adding Marine Snow and then Kent Marine Micro-Vert.
    This really sucks! He is still moving around in there today.... I have my fingers crossed.

I ve had this happen to me.. first the crown fell off then just when it started to grow a new crown( i can actually see the new crown) the darn thing just popped out of its casing and the worm was on the sand...never saw that thing ever again

namscan,
    Yes, as I mentioned, they usually start to grow a newer one and it would end up being somewhat smaller than the original one. However, it usually ends up for the worse.
    Amajus,
    Don't give up yet though. as I have gone through this too and it ended up both ways. Once the worm died shortly after, and another time, another one survived and grew a glorious even more colorful crown.
    You have to feed some type of Phytoplankton though.
    The Marine snow by the way, is basically distilled water. Do a search on it on RC and you'll see the whole can of worms that surrounds that product. Pure crap if you ask me..., as if you're not feeding any thing at all to your tank with it.

wow, I wasn't aware of that..Thanks. What about the Kent stuff? I am going to get some phyto this week. Better safe then sorry. I really don't wanna screw up any chances I have with this one pulling through.
    Thanks again!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast