Coral & lighting question

I'm wondering about high light-required corals. When it is advised that they need high lighting requirements and advise mh, is that to give you the required watts per gal or to get x-amount of watts / gal?

I'm wondering instead of adding mh if I added another VHO (URI bulb) making it 4x110 = 440 / 72gal = 6.11w/gal if that would be sufficent for a few more high lighting required corals?

As it is now everything grows very well so I'm not interested in adding for the corals I currently have. Rather I'm wondering if my hopes/plans to add mh aren't really needed if I just add 1vho to what I have to be able to keep a wider range of corals!?

An acropora sitting on the rocks doesn't care how many gallons of water are in the tank. It cares about how much par is in the light above it. Adding an extra VHO won't affect it.

I don't put much stock in the watts/gallon rule. That said I do know of people successfully keeping SPS under VHOs. They don't have the colour they would have under MH but it can be done if they are up high enough and directly under one of the tubes.
    Susan

Thanks for that reply, I reposted because I really slaughtered what I wanted to ask in this post but you understood me....thanks hyeah:

I'm going to try putting some of the lower sps's at mid-level (Vickie's suggested starting there) and if need be move them up. If they do fine there then I'll see about going to others.

Sounds like good advice. Keep an eye on the colour, if they start turning brown they want more light. Also, watch the bases, if you see white that's another sign.
    Susan

Excellent advise thanks a ton.

Cakefan,
    I agree with what Flame said too. The old Watts/gallon rule is old school. You can have a tank that is 1 foot high and another that is 3 feet high with the same amount of gallons in it, but definitely in need of different lighting between the 2.
    It would be a good idea for you to start out with the lower light demanding corals, although as Falme said, they might turn more brown, which is just more zooxanthellae ( algae) in it being produced to make more nourishment for the corals.
    If you want, I actually have a nice frag of a Yellow branching Montipora that you can have to try. It grows very fast and under MH lighting is an intense yellow, but under your lighting it will still do well, only the coloring will not be the same. You can try it out as a test. let me know.

This is interesting....Flame Angel, what is "par" and why wouldn't adding an extra VHO affect it? I'm trying get my head around this.

I've read some stuff or seen posts from folks using 400-600w of combined VHO and PC lighting with reports of good success on colour and growth. From what I'm reading, there are also some folks saying that by using MH you would see an even better result then the output desribed above. Is this accurate? Can anyone shed more "light" on this ongoing topic? What is it in the quality of light from MH to VHO/PC (under the same wattages) that make it better for hard to grow corals?
    Keep passing the open windows!

Pubber, here is an article that explains many lighting terms - http://www.harboraquatics.com/reef_a...ighting06.html

PAR is "*PAR= Photosyntheticly Active Radiation PAR measures the 400-700 nanometer range of the spectrum, which includes the blue and red ranges most plants and zooxanthellae use for photosynthesis. This is the part of the spectrum a reef aquarium uses, the only way to measure it is with a PAR meter or with spectral analysis. "

Vickie

Here is another good article that I use as a reference - http://www.kentmarine.com/kurl.html

Vickie

Thanks Vickie, I've only scanned them quickly, but they seem to be very informative links...tonite I'll read thru them in more detail and see if there's a "light" at the end of this tunnel.
    Keep passing the open windows!