Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Maroon Clown fish

I was thinking about adding a Marron clown to my 35g. I understand they are aggressive....but just how aggressive?

contents,
    Coral beauty
    Cleaner shirmp
    snails and crabs
    Bubble tip anemone

future plans are to add a diamond goby and other corals.

anybody have any experience or thoughts??

did you see the dandy deal on a pair of sebae clowns here (AC) $44.95 I believe. I had a maroon clown and had to take him out. He went crazy after my powder brown tang while he still in the bag. I figured it was only a sign of things to come so the clown went back to the LFS.

I have two in my 25 gallon.. after about 3 months of them in the tank the female (about twice the size of the male) would constantly torment him. She would never leave him alone no matter where he went, he could be hiding in a few caves away and she would track him down and beat him into a corner, the poor guy was all torn up so I had to seperate them (took the female out). After a couple weeks I re-arranged my rocks and put the female back into the tank, within a week she was back to her old tricks.

I'm trying one last time now, it's been a few days and she doesn't seem to be trying to kill him yet, hopefully it stays this way!

Anyways, this is my first experience with them so I'm not sure if this is normal or not... they are beautiful fish though, i love their colour

I've read a good many times of them taking a chunk of finger = bloody nasty fish

I'd like to one day have a tank dedicated to a pair of gsm but they'd be the only fish in it cause they are just so darn mean.

there you go john buddy i told ya LOL. i heard some viscous tales about those lil bastards

atlantic,

Speaking from experience.. as i have one sitting in my 15 gallon nano as he wont lay off my other fish..

- He Killed a 4 inche yellow tang, Chased him and beat on him soo much it stressed out and deid..
    -He ripped off all the fins of my Sailfin tang...
    -and killed 2 chromis..

This was all with in the first 3 days after buying it.. So i had to move him out, IM at the point now where i would not even GIVE him away to someone.. Unless they where going to house him alone.

:eek4: thats a horror story! those guys are the devil:devil2:

I was just reading on a web site where is states there Temperament: Moderate --- I would hate to see the Temperament: Aggressive.

I wonder if you stick these guys with a different species fish that is larger more aggressive would that help out?

Wow, my maroon clown is a sweet heart compared to those others! Mine has an anemome to play in, and leaves other fish relatively alone. He will go out and chase a fish that's comes too close to where it is though. But he just darts out, to scare it, and goes right back to the anenome. It takes a very large & hearty anenome to host these guys though-- they will LOVE it to pieces if its too small.
    I've noticed that raising kids & fish are similar: Patience & dedication really pays off!

Well most of these storys are true maroons need to be kept with aggressive fish that cant eat them such as dwarf lions and baby grouper. Triggers and frog fish are good too.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast