Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Exclamation Aquascaping HELP

i have 2 issues to be disscussed:

NOTE: :YELL2: please keep your answers ON TOPIC! if you want to say something unrelated please start your own thread. i get very vexed when im reading (or subscribe to) a thread about an interesting topic and someone jumps in and chages the friggin subject. if you change this threads subject i will send you hate mail LOL.
    now that i got that out of me, heres my issues:

(1) below is a side pic of my tank. as you can see i left enough room on the back of my tank to get my hand down there in case of an emergency. would i be better off building my structure up against the glass, leaving more room for a bay (or more rock) in the front? does my structure allow for maximum swimming space?

(2) i plan to get 2 yellowheaded jawfish and im wondering would a wall on glass structure be more stable for these burrowing fish? (NOTE: my base rock is roughly 3" deep into my 5-6" DSB.) NOTE: jawfish tend to be less destructive than gobies when making their burrows.

based on the above issues do you think i should go against the glass of stay put?

aquascaping

side pic

Cool

I think you should stay put. You will find yourself with a lot of dead spots if you wall up against the glass. It looks great as is. When I had my 65 and my 90 I would get dead spots when I aquascaped a wall of rock creating spot for cyno and hairalgea to take hold.

do you think that a pair of jawfish will f everything up?

I'm going to disagree with Johhny...somewhat. I like your structure, but I'd change it a bit so that some of the rocks lean against the back glass....not all, I'm not suggesting you move the entire structure back a few inches. I belive this will give you two advantages: The turbo snails will have easier access to move freely from the rocks to the glass (they have a tough time moving accross the sand), and it will make the rock structure more stable.

On the issue of burrowing fish, is your rock structure just sitting on the sand? If so, you may have some problems, especially if none of your structure is supported by the back glass. When I built my structure, I knew that I would keep a pistol shimp and goby pair (which dig a tonne), so I buried some of the rocks right down to the bottom glass (like piers or footings), built the sand around those rocks, and made the remaining structure on top of those footings.

I did the same thing zookeeper suggested about placing some rocks down on the bottom plate of glass and placing sand around it to form a footing. A have a crazy burrowing goby in there now for about3 months and now problems so far.

When I was setting up my rock I used the back of the tank as a cave concept. I was tinking that this will allow for some good hiding place for the fish to relax and unstress. little more natural.

So they can still swim in around the rock yet some pieces touch the back glass.

I'm with Johnny on this one. As it is now it looks really good. There's lots of room back there for water movement, fish etc. I would make sure it is stable as Zookeeper had pointed out.
    Rob

So guys, who do you think is gonna win the stanley cup this year? My money is on Toronto....thoughts?
    Visit my Reef @ NewfieReef.com

lol just kidding mark :devil2:
    Visit my Reef @ NewfieReef.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast