Thread: SPS's and vho?

SPS's and vho?

Ok I didn't word my last question properly so I'm going to try again. (in reading that last post :hammerhea I have to wonder why I didn't proof read it ughh oh well)

I understand how wattages goes and how it is dispensed according to depth and for some reason I was under the impression that mh had added qualities (other than just strenght )

If I added 1 more vho (making 4x110w URI run on an Icecap ballast) and added a few SPS's on the top, would that be sufficient wattage at a depth of say 6-8" to house them? would they grow ok?

Has anone had success keeping sps's with this amount of light?

It would depend upon the SPS. I had some montis about half way up my tank under 4 VHO. They grew. Other SPS may need to be higher. As I understand it, the MH have a higher intensity (strength) than VHO which allows them to penitrate the water further. Argos, I understand will grow under VHO but be mainly brown because of the lack of intensity of the UV range. MH have a higher UV output than VHO.

Vickie

everything Vicky said is bang on plus, lets not forget those pretty glitter lines!

So I could put some ie. monti's on the top of the rocks and they'd do fine without adding another bulb!?

Aren't there vho bulbs (?actinic?) that have more uv than the standard?

I just want something colorful that's not softies on the top... any other suggestions?

Montis would work. I would suggest starting about mid point and then after a couple of weeks move them closer to the lights if necessary. FWIW my montis were about 12 inches from the VHO.

Actinics are mainly used to show the iridescent colours off. I don't believe they have the UV necessary for the corals. This is why many people with MH will also have actinic VHO bulbs as well (not to mention dawn/dusk effects).

The big thing with most SPS (as I understand it) is not the light, but how pure the water is. Softies and LPS seem to be more forgiving than SPS for nitrates/phosphates.

Vickie

PS - The glitter lines was what Stewart wanted. Thanks to your lights, he now has glitter lines and I have bleached corals. I know, the lights got left on too long in the beginning (not to mention that I had to re-arrange due to some new frags and the montis got moved higher without my thinking about it)