Thread: anemone trouble

anemone trouble

Is it normal when you introduce a bta into a tank, after being accumlated for 2 hours, for it to have a bit of brown turd like substance coming out of oits center. The LFS said this is normal na dthat it was just the anemone dumping its system. I hope so, it was a bit expensive for a casualty in only a few hours. Any comments or suggestions of what to do.

Thanks
    john

not sure...mine didnt do that...

I hope it all works out. If not its going back to the LFS after a day or so.

it does sound like it's just expelling waste- food goes in & out through the center mouth. Anenomes will shrink up to expell the waste too, and deflate a bit. It should inflate & be just fine soon. If it's deflating alot, (more then twice a day) it's unhappy & there could be problems with water quality, etc. Hope this helps!
    I've noticed that raising kids & fish are similar: Patience & dedication really pays off!

yup, thanks for the info. I'll keep an eye on it and see what happens. Its a really nice anemone, hope it turns out alright.

It's telling a little man about a big horse.

It's not unusual for anemones to change their water after introduction into a new system. They might inflate and deflate a few times, but as has been pointed out if it's incessant and continues on for more than a week then it is a sign of distress. But not entirely surprising for a recent introduction, so for now I'd just keep an eye on it.

BTA's like to be near a crevasse or a cave. They will like to keep the pedal disk ("foot") hidden out of light and current but able to pull their oral disk (tentacles) out into the open (where the light and the currents are). Currents should be enough such that not only do the tentacles sway to and fro, but any detritus that does get produced, isn't able to accumulate next to the tissue (i.e., enough current to blow away any poo). Hope this helps!
    -Tony

My next hobby will be flooding my basement while repeatedly banging my head against a brick wall and tearing up $100 bills. Whee!

Thanks for advice guys! Unfortunatly, the anemone didn't make it, bought it back to the LFS and he said that there must have been something internally wrong with the anemone, there where no signs of a tear and the water quality was all good. Anyway, the guy at the LFS was great about and has another bta of my color choice on the way for the weekend. Thats what I call good service. Would recommend to anybody.