Thread: ecosystem

ecosystem

Hi,
    I'm in the process of setting up a new tank and was wondering about this system. It would seem that we don't need protein skimmers on this system and that the mud is only replaced each 2 years.
    I know some folks here use this system and was wondering if it was true that this system does not require skimmers.
    Even J&L seem to trust them...

http://www.ecosystemaquarium.com
    Do or do not. There is no "try" - Jedi Master Yoda

I have two gallons of mineral mud under the sand bed in the centre section of my sump- it's not the miracle mud brand but similar product as far as I'm concerned. It has been in there for about 6 months and I really haven't noticed an improvement in water chemistry. I wouldn't run without a good skimmer though.

I heard that miracle mud is the biggest scam in a while.

me too

It's not really a scam. It's just overpriced mud from someones backyard. Some people find it works great. If it did nothing it would be a scam.
    James...

"Knowing is half the battle!" ~ G.I. JOE

I've used it... yup "used".
    Here's my take on it.
    First of all, it's waaaaay!!! overpriced for what it actually is. Kent makes an identical product ( makes ..., used loosely as it is really just gathered from a terrestrial site, not aquatic) that is called "Mineral Mud" and is much cheaper. The whole "no skimmer needed theory" originated with Leng Sy who is the originator and owner of Ecosystems. He has since retracted that statement quite a while ago now, and diplomatically says that it doesn't hurt and can only do better to use a skimmer in cunjunction with the system. Synergy being the term. I say diplomatically because I'm guessing he doesn't want to lose face about this. Heck, his new line even INCLUDES a skimmer with the refugium!!!
    Miracle mud is basically a high iron content mineral earth gathered on land and not in the oceans somewhere as everyone originally thought. The advertising hype states that the macros ( Caulerpas) used in the system will grow dramatically when using this secretive mud, but truth be told, the macros grow well because of the iron content. This gets depleted over time too and is why it has to be replenished over time. In the end, I found that normal sand in my refuge gave me the exact same results at a nuch cheaper price. Bottomline, IMO, is to save your money for something else and forego the Miracle Mud.

Cool. But the Bioballs in the refuge concept is not only from the ecosystem, right? Is that part worth it?
    Do or do not. There is no "try" - Jedi Master Yoda

Nah, take them out, slowly though as in a few at a time. The bioballs are there to stop pieces of macro from entering the tank as a kind of grill. What I have done is actually make a fishgate similar to our overflows, even though there's no fishies in there.